Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Simvans: The Space In-Between


'When I take images of naked young men I am firstly trying to capture the aesthetic and sexual beauty of these people. I like to hint at story, but also place the people I work with in spaces that could be anywhere.'


I often say that it's usually one specific image that draws me toward's an artist and their work.  That was definitely the case with Simvans.  There are certain images that have you sit-up and notice, and in with this particular image, it was an actual sit-up.   If you scroll down a bit, you'll see the image I mean.  It's a beautiful example of Sim's philosophy about spaces, and his choice about hinting at story.


'I like to hint at story, but also place the people I work with in spaces that could be anywhere. This is an approach that focuses on the person in the photograph, yet also makes them depersonalised. So there is a tension. There is also a tension in that I am influenced by baroque portrayals of the male nude, yet also appreciate contemporary photographic images of youth. I suppose I work in the space in-between.'


In the image that grabbed my attention, (below) Sim shared the first chapter of a story I wanted to read more of.  Although the model, except for his sports socks, was completely nude, he was also mostly hidden. His hands covered most of his face, and the face gives us just a tempting, but satisfying glimpse.   The location was could have been almost anywhere, a gym, a living room or bedroom, a studio or basement.  The space in between lies in the untold story, a story Sim encourages the viewer to finish with their imagination.


For Sim,  photography is the family business.  Coming from a family of artists, the Australia based photographer has been shooting since he was a teen. Sim began using an SLR camera, black and white 35mm film and  darkroom processing. Although he now uses a DSLR camera and works in black and white and color, Sim is still guided by darkroom developing methods and tries to keep digital manipulations to a minimum.


'My work is about people primarily. Even when I am taking images of nature or the urban landscape. Taking images of young men is a part of that fascination and a part of that same humanistic spectrum. Like all images of naked people, it also speaks to beauty, sexuality, imagination, style, fantasy, power, gender and class. Everyday young men in our culture are not often portrayed as objects of beauty, I try to do that.'


Having worked since he was 19 as a naked model himself, Sim says that he has an understanding of the experiences the models he shoots are going through.  Shooting his first naked model wasn't so daunting for him, but he was concerned that the experience was enjoyable and comfortable for the model, especially given the model had never posed naked before.  Sim works all over Australia, Europe and the U.K, and likes to meet and get to know the models he's working with before picking up his camera.  Sim tries when he can to incorporate their ideas into his vision, so it's not only his vision, but a co-creation between artist and model.


'It is inspiring to be around the youthful energy of these young men that agree to be a part of the artistic process. It is a privilege because I really feel I am capturing these people in a moment of beauty that really is fleeting. Youth and its allures are gone sooner than we would wish, and to record them is to have some way to look back and reflect while also sharing with others. So these works I have included are about the interests of these youth as well as portraying them in a sympathetic way. These young men are beautiful, whether or not each of them recognize it at the moment of the shoot, I hope they can look at them in the future and see their aesthetic appeal. It is in that way a privilege to create memory.'



No comments: