Thursday, January 9, 2020

Bull Session : Anson by Noplacia Photography


'After the first shoot and seeing how the photos turned out I was hooked!'


It was back in 2015 when I first featured the work of artist and photographer Gary Larson. (Noplacia Photography)  I had been featuring mostly self shots of model DirtRoad, and was thrilled to be able to feature Gary's location work with one of my (and FH readers) favorite models. (HERE: HERE:)


Although my initial focus was on Gary's photography, I soon learned that Gary's photography was an element in his artistic process.  Many of the models and images that Gary shot were created to inspire drawings and paintings.  My most recent pieces featuring Gary's work (HERE:) focused on the process of creating art work from the photo he had taken.  Gary used one of his photos to create an original art piece for my Halloween tribute Alfred Hitchcock's iconic shower scene in Psycho. (Final Rinse)


Finding models to shoot for artwork can have it's own set of challenges.  For some models, it's a great opportunity to practice pose and experience being nude in front of the camera without the pressure of having the photos be the final creative piece of the process.  It can also require patience and can require a multitude of poses to ensure the artist has all they need for the next step.  Usually, it's days, weeks or even months before the artist is ready to work on a sketch, drawing or painting.  The model is long gone, and the photos provide the creative stimulus.


Many artists utilize friends and acquaintances as models, especially those they trust and that have an interest in art or modeling.  It's a little more tricky however, when it's a new friend, one you're just getting to know.  It can take awhile to figure out whether this friend you enjoy hanging out with, might be comfortable letting it all hang out while you taken hundreds of pictures...


Gary first met Anson about six years ago and became friends when Anson was dating a woman who lived on Gary's street.  They'd often get together on weekends, have a drink of whisky and shoot the breeze.  Through their conversations,  Gary learned about the bull riding competitions Anson competed in when younger, and his time in the military, serving in both Afghanistan and Iraq.


Gary also figured out why Anson had such beautiful and defined forearms.  Anson works as a tree technician, spending his days climbing tree's and working with a chainsaw.   Although Gary suspected Anson would make a great model, he was nervous to ask him, not wanting to make him uncomfortable or complicate their friendship in anyway.


Luckily a mutual friend brought it up with Anson and kept nudging him to do it. This went on for about year.  During this time, Gary and Anson continued to hang out and get to know each other better, so much so one day Gary felt comfortable enough just to ask, 'How about we do that shoot this Wednesday?'  Obviously, Anson said yes.


'I think I've always been interested in the modeling process so I accepted Gary's invitation. He was really great and made me feel extremely comfortable. I've never really had a problem with nudity although I would be lying if i said I wasn't a little worried how I would do. After the first shoot and seeing how the photos turned out I was hooked! Gary did such a good job I had a hard time believing it was me.'


In addition to the bull riding and rodeo theme, Gary and Anson have also captured images themed around Anson's job as a tree climber. (Hopefully they'll share those!)  Anson's hoping his time in Army might also become the theme of a shoot in the future.


'Anson has become one of  my favorite models to draw.  In addition to his muscular detail, he also happens to be one of the nicest people I know.  We've been doing a couple of shoots each year. These photos are from a bull-riding themed shoot we did this summer. The chaps are what he wore in his teens, and the belt buckle was won in a competition.'





No comments: