Thursday, September 24, 2020

Favorite Part of Ratched: Corey Stoll


'He wasn’t born a monster. Somebody turned him into one.'
Mildred Ratched


Netflix's Ratched has certainly gotten some wretched reviews.  To be fair, I think some were a bit too brutal, based more on Ryan Murphy's body of work that Ratched on it's own.  Sure, like most of Murphy's projects there are some gaping plot holes and story inconsistencies, but also like many of Murphy's projects, for what it was, I found it entertaining.


It had all the Murphy staples.  Great actress's over 40, a hot hunk for butt scenes, frequent twists and turns, and a beautiful atmosphere rooted in the shows look and set.  I'm not sure any mental institution ever looked like this one but even during boring or silly scenes, the surrounds



The cast was top notch, especially Jon Jon Briones and Judy David, whose scenes together were my favorites.  The exception was Sharon Stone, who although looked great with a monkey on her shoulder, was oddly flat in a role that should have been a scene stealer.  My favorite actor in the project was Corey Stoll who played PI / hired gun Charles Wainwright.

The Strain

Stoll looked incredibly hot in his film noir styled coat and hat, and hotter when the hat came off.  Stoll is an actor I really should no better, I've seen him in many movies before, but his television appearances were in shows that have passed me by.  I tired, but never got into Girls, and have never seen House of Cards.  I did however notice Stoll on screen before in his many film roles with some of the industries biggest stars.

Girls

I wish we'd have seen more of Stoll in Ratched, but Mildred's story went in a different direction and Charles was only seen in the shows first three episodes.  I also wish we'd seen more of Charlie Carver and Hunter Parrish, both of whom were also memorable, but with limited screen time.


I think Ratched would have benefited from less of the title character herself.  As great an actress Paulson is, this role wasn't really a great fit, and the show really shined when it's supporting cast were on screen.  I would have really loved to have seen more of Stoll, Briones, Parrish, Judy Davis, Vincent D'Onofrio, Amanda Plummer and Harriet Sansom Harris.

House of Cards

No comments: