Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Unfanning...



Have you ever unfanned someone?

Like clicking 'unfriend' on facebook, as I get older I am finding it easier to remove an artist from the list of performers I once enjoyed. For the most part, it is not really something that is necessary to worry about. Most actors, singers that I love I remain a fan of always. Some, simply sort of slowly vanish off my radar and no action is really required.



Last year I decided I had to unfan Whoopi Goldberg. It was sort of a big deal to me as she had always been one of my favorite performers. Moved me in The Color Purple and entertained me so in many other projects. 'Jumpin Jack Flash' for years was my 'go to' movie. You know that movie you stick in to watch when your down, maybe bored or need a pick me up of some kind. I pretty much wore out my VHS copy before getting the DVD. I hope one day that I will be able to put it back on again. Maybe after Whoopi departs The View I might. Defanning Whoopi was not easy but after listening to her say some of the stupidest things (the tipping point was not her defence of Mel Gibson or Tracey Morgan but more the defending of convicted rapists who happen to be her friends) pushed me over the edge.



Defanning this particular actor in took quite a bit longer but was actually quite a bit easier. It was not one event or quote that did it but more a perceived slow change in his behavior that made defanning a simple choice.

I crushed over him as a teen, found him adorable and oh so talented. Loved his work on television, movies and especially on stage. His hosting, especially this past years Tony's was incredible, in fact his work on the Tony's this year should garner him a well deserved EMMY. It is not his talent that is in question, his talent in undeniable. I guess the unfanning comes down to a noticeable change in attitude.

Over the past few years I have found, not sure how exactly to describe it.... an arrogance maybe, condescending attitude... Maybe the easiest way to say it is that he seems to so obviously and blatantly let others know just how good he thinks he is. I notice often at award shows that when the camera is on him he is all smiles. When is he is unaware he is being captured he appears bored, even showing a bit disdain for what is going on around him.



Earlier this week while I was getting ready for work I caught a bit of his appearance on Regis and Kelly. His looks into the camera, years ago all smiles and excitement, have been replaced by looks of over confidence. Each time he said something remotely witty he looked right at the camera, the audience, smugly seeminly telling those watching he knows exactly how great he is.

Maybe this is just a stage, maybe it is just my perception...

Curious if others see anything like this. I do know this perception does not come from one appearance but dozens over the past several years. It began as as a hint but has distinctly grown more and more obvious with each passing appearance.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you, an idiot?
You have no idea what NPH thinks or feels about anything.
He's talented, he's out, and your strained projections are beside the point.

Tye said...

Only what I see...

I am ok with you thinking I am an idiot, but.. given it is my blog for my thoughts... any projections, strained or not, are the point

Anonymous said...

You may be thinking this one too much. He just had a kid. Kids suck. You would be upset a lot ("off-camera") too, if you had kids.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Yeah he's talented and good-looking but anymore he seems really arrogant and condescending. In my opinion, he's in the same boat as Ryan Seacrest and Justin Timberlake. Their arrogance gets the best of them.

Anonymous said...

he was totally smug on Regis

Kevin Bee said...

I completely agree with you regarding NPH. His over-confidence and smugness have also snet me in the opposite direction.
I followed him on twitter as a friend said he was funny. All I saw was someone who really likes himself a bit too much and no sign of being humble at all.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. I think he believes himself to be way more talented than he actually is. He thinks he's the poster boy for out and successful; turns out he's the poster boy for douchebag.

Anonymous said...

Maybe "unfanning" this blog is in order for repeating the same images over and over again.

Tye said...

lol
Feel free to unfan and thanks for the chuckle!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! It was his guest judge appearance on So You Think You Can Dance that really made me unfan him. He was so incredibly smug as a judge. When he called out Jess for mugging I was appalled as NPH always seems to be mugging. My dislike for him started with How I Met Your Mother and hit rock bottom with So You Think You Can Dance.

-Chris

Bobby F said...

I "unfriended" a coworker when she started asking questions about my other Facebook friends. Questions that I deemed inappropriate. To avoid future interrogations, I unfriended her from my account. It's just not a good idea to "friend" coworkers, anyway and she had been the only coworker whom I had friended. Actually, my facebook account is set up with an email no one at work knows about. :-)

Anonymous said...

NPH=Smug!

Oh the stories I could tell! Complete Diva

Matt said...

I totally agree with you on Whoopie. I too have grown not only disappointed in her, but just downright tired of her. It's like she's back on the streets as a homeless person and she's lost her mind and talking to imaginary people.

As for Neal Patrick (part of the smugness is that people can't even use his NAME, they have to use his initials? come on...) I haven't really noticed, but I'll sure be on the lookout.

Yes, unfanning, as you put it, does happen. Fortunately like yourself, not too many of the actors and musicians, literati, etc. that I have grown to like over the years have I deemed to be no longer worthy of my worship.

Good post.

Matt said...

ps - @Anonoymous July 27, 2011 9:15pm. - Get OVER yourself already.
Geez.

The nerve of some people ya know??!

Brian said...

I never watched Doogie Howser and have only sat through 2,maybe 3 episodes of his new show,so was never a fan.I was impressed last year with his hosting of the Tony awards but missed it this year. The few times I've seen him on talk shows etc. he has been a little "extreme" It seems like once he came out he kinda went a bit overboard on being "who he is".At least he's one of the child stars who made it into adulthood and success in the business with no mug shots to show off.I give him credit for that : )

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight, when he is unaware the camera is on him, he seems to have disdain? OK. So That means he is like EVERY well to do gay man I have ever had the "pleasure" of meeting. That makes him more real.