Saturday, July 20, 2013

American Youth by Hans Fahrmeyer


The youth of America have always gotten a bad rap. From James Dean through to the present, for the most part, if you were under 20, you were considered trouble. Yet, it is those teenagers who eventually become adults and are the ones making decisions that affect us all. Maybe that is the terrifying thing!


Although we had a computer when I was in school, we did not have the Internet in our home until I was 19 and had already graduated. At that time we all remember the ringing of the dial-up and how even downloading a few photos from an e-mail might mean having to let them slowing download overnight. I am not sure how I would have done in High School, let alone Jr. High with the net. There was a feeling when I was young that no matter how bad your day at school was, once it was over and you got home, you could forget it... at least until the next morning.


I am amazed at how well the teens in my family maneuver through their on-line lives, many, do a far better job than most of the adults I know. Although some of us certainly did share erotic photos of ourselves, it was not as easy as today. Although they never asked, I am sure my parents always knew what the reason was when the families polaroid camera was found in my room....


I have been documenting the work of New York photographer Hans Fahrmeyer on FH for close to five years now. Sunday's With Hans began with my first post in the series back in August 2009 with model, and now photographer, Rowan Pierce (you can see that first post HERE:) When I first contacted Hans about a piece on the blog, I had mainly known his work photographing for Vista Video and his memorable images of Marcel and Phil Fusco.


Spending time with his portfolio however, I quickly found out his skill as a photographer went much further with editorial and commercial work that pushed boundaries and made statements creatively. Hans has also documented New York youth and night life for years, creating some of the most erotic, and as well thought provoking images of both the highs and lows of living the good life! With all his amazing imagery, Hans has a signature shot, pants, usually jeans, slid down just enough, which he uses with many of the models he shoots. Those shots remains still remain some of my favorite all time favorites from Hans!


Hans recently began a tumblr which has begun to fill with incredible images and videos. Be sure to check it out as Hans has included many other images from this series not shown here. 

Check it out HERE:


AMERICAN TEENS from Hans Fahrmeyer on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Bobby F said...

Oh, yes, Tye! I remember those many evenings locked away in my room snapping Polaroid after Polaroid of myself. Those were the days.

BTW, James Dean was in the 1950s, not the 1960s. He died in 1955.

Tye said...

tx Bobby

Tye