Thursday, April 5, 2018

Playmen

Harris Dickinson

I have been following the work Harris Dickinson since seeing the first previews for Beach Rats. I had been looking FX's Trust and Dickinson's turn as John Paul Getty 111. Two episodes in and I'm hooked. I didn't see All The Money In The World, but I may take a look when it gets it's released on DVD and digital next week.


Having not known too much about the story, I wasn't sure Getty's nude Playmen spread in the show's first episode was real, or fictional. It was in fact very real. Founded by feminist Adelina Tattilo, the magazine began because the American published Playboy was banned in Italy at the time. In the early 70's Getty was hanging and partying with a lot of celebrities including Mick Jagger, Elton John and Andy Warhol. It didn't take much, just $1000 to convince him to pose naked for an issue back in 1973.


Dickinson with Donald Sutherland in Trust

The cover heralded Getty as eroe nudo, (naked hero) and according the story, was the reason his grandfather withdrew his previous job offers to Getty the third. I included one censored image below, but he posed in Italy, and I don't think he was only 17 when the images were released. On a side note, I also had not connected that actor Balthazar Getty was Paul Getty's son. The more you know...

John Paul Getty 111

Harrison as Getty in Playmen
Last 2 caps from DC's Men of the Moment

No comments: