Thursday, February 6, 2020

A Vintage Vantage: Stephen Boyd


'Jump for joy, it's Jumbo!'

Jumbo (1962)

Many FH readers might remember my previous posts about Circus.  As a kid, I always wanted to run away and join the circus, and have often weaved the theme into posts and theme days on the site.  I also love circus movies, especially classics I discover on TCM.


Until her death last year, I'd only seen one Doris Day movie.  My love of Hitchcock led me to 1956's 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' several years ago.  I loved the film and the performances of both Day and Jimmy Stewart.  I especially loved listening to Day sing, and her voice was a highlight of the film.  After Day died, I thought I should check out more of her work, and finally last month, watched my DVR recording of TCM's airing of Billy Rose's Jumbo.


The 1962 musical isn't going to make the top of my Circus movie list, but it was a enjoyable spectacle.  Although none of the songs really stood out, the production and musical numbers were visually incredible, especially the song number Day sings while riding a horse around the circus ring.


I hadn't seen or heard of Day's leading man before, but actor Stephen Boyd's handsome face had me googling to find out more.  The Northern Ireland born actor had a relatively short life, dying at just 45 from a heart attack in 1977.  Having started acting professionally in his mid-twenties, Boyd managed to build an impressive resume in his twenty or so years in the business.   Some of Boyd's films I hope to check out are featured in the images below.

With Brigitte Bardot in Les bijoutiers du clair de lune (1958)

With Marisa Mell in Marta (1971)

Ben-Hur (1959)

With Joan Collins in Island in the Sun (1957)

No comments: