Monday, September 28, 2020

A Kiss Before Dying

1991

' Some secrets can't be kept ... they have to be buried!'

1956

Let me share with you another secret, re-makes of classic films should be against the law. I'm trying to think of a re-make that was actually worth watching, I can't.  I suppose maybe there are lesser known stories that gain a new audience with a contemporary update, but I really doubt it.  I've had 1956's A Kiss Before Dying on my DVR since TCM aired it a few months ago, I finally had the time to watch this past weekend.

Robert Wagner

I've been fascinated to see more of Robert Wagner's films since watching HBO's Natalie Wood documentary during the summer.  As much as her death, and Wagner's involvement, was a focus, my curiosity was about Wagner's film career.  A theme of the documentary was how Wagner and Wood's stars were on the rise at different times, and when she was at her most famous, his fame was on the decline.

Matt Dillon

I'd seen Wagner on television of course, but don't think I'd ever seen one of his films.  Not sure a film with featuring Wagner murdering his lover was the right film to start with... but I did love A Kiss Before Dying.  As Bud Corliss, Wagner made a great villain, and the supporting cast were all great.  I also loved the movie's film noir feel and it's cinematic look.  Had me want to add visiting Arizona to my travel bucket list.


;Crying isn't going to help'
Bud Corliss


The only downside to catching the original, was it stirred my curiosity to catch the 1991 re-make.  Big mistake!  The re-make was horrid.  It's hard to believe both films were based on the same novel by Ira Levin.  Matt Dillon was fine, and beautiful to look at, but the story was weak and Sean Young was absolutely horrid playing both of the Carlsson sister.


The sisters should have been played by two actress's, as they were in the 1956 version, it would have meant a few less minutes of Young on screen.  Young was so bad, she won two Golden Raspberry's for her work, for both worst actress, and worst supporting actress.  The only awards the film won.


The only positive thing about the film was Matt Dillon, especially his gorgeous face.  Even with a week script, Dillon was watchable.  The film also 'sort of' mark's Dillon's first nude scene.  I say sort of, because it was but a wee bit of upper ass crack.  The reason I count it, is as up until this point, Dillon has done zero nudity.  Although often shirtless, and in tighty whities on film, no director ever managed to get those tighty whities off.  Dillon remained nudity shy, and I believe showed his full butt only once in his career.


Although Dillon showed an inch (barely) of butt in the re-make, Wagner showed no skin the original.  Regardless, his Bud sizzled with sinister sex appeal.  Wagner did have a hot shirtless scene in 1960's All The Fine Young Cannibals.  You can check out that scene on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: