Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Benjamin Walker in American Psycho: The Musical


'There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.'
Patrick Bateman
 

American Psycho: The Musical 
Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre 
Performances: 54 (Apr 21, 2016 - Jun 05, 2016) 


'No carcass is more spectacularly toned than Mr. Walker’s, which is just as well, since he spends much of the second act in nothing but (bloodstained, natch) tighty-whities. But it is made clear that he’s not just another pretty six-pack. (With his hair in a smooth 1950s Tony Randall cut, he suggests a Ken doll in a toy chest full of action figures.) Even more than Matt Smith, who originated the role in London, Mr. Walker presents Patrick as an insecure man who deeply needs to fit in and despises himself for doing so'
NewYork Times


I wasn't really that familiar with Benjamin Walker when I first saw promotional shots for his role in American Psycho: The Musical.  Those tighty whitie shots however, left an impression and I've seen seen a few of his movies.  The musical, adapted by Riverdale writer and creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa  from the book by Bret Easton Ellis began in London but soon made it's way to Broadway.

Check out more from the Broadway production on the NEXT PAGE HERE:  and more Patrick Bateman's on stage HERE:


No comments: