Monday, November 30, 2020

A Vintage Vantage: Paul Newman in Torn Curtain


An American scientist publicly defects to East Germany as part of a cloak and dagger mission to find the solution for a formula resin before planning an escape back to the West.


Although I like to think of myself of somewhat of a film buff, there are many classics that I haven't seen.  I especially however, finding films with stars I love that I didn't even know existed.  I love Alfred Hitchcock films, but I've really only seen a small number of them.  I re-watch Rear Window whenever it's on and have seen Psycho and The Birds several times.


I've seen others, but most only once.  I was pleasantly surprised then, to discover several new Hitchcock films during TCM's recent marathon.  I'd never heard of Torn Curtain, and certainly wasn't aware that Paul Newman and Julie Andrews appeared together in a Hitchcock film.  For some reason this flick doesn't seem to get the repeat airings some many of the other famous director's films get. 


'Just give me five minutes with her. After all, she is my girl'
Professor Michael Armstrong 




What was most surprising about Torn Curtain was how Hitchcock tapped into his leading man's good looks.  We're used to him focusing on the beautiful blondes he casts, but Torn Curtain contains three shirtless scenes with Newman, including even a hint of nudity behind a shower curtain.  Torn Curtain certainly isn't one of the director's best, but it more than held my attention with it's tense storytelling and quick pace. 

No comments: