Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Chairing The Pants Off Them! Chris by Cooks Photography


'The chair does sit in our family room. My partner sits on it when he's putting his shoes on. lol '


Whenever I feature the work of Cooks Photography, I'm always amazed at the dynamic curves, lines and poses that photographer Hal Cooks always manages to capture.  One of the ways the California based artist is able to do this, is through his us of furniture.  If you've check out my previous pieces featuring Hal's work, (HERE:) you'll remember that Hal brilliantly uses stools, chairs, trunks and ottomans.  

Although Hal ways keeps his model the focus, the furniture that uses provides the model with a base to sit on, stretch on and straddle.  A pivot point for their poses.  When Hal send on this series of shots of Chris H, I was struck with how the furniture pieces were used as more than just a prop.  The furniture pieces act to actually heighten Chris' beauty, by providing a visual contrast between their fixed, hard structure and the beauty, softness and fluidity of Chris' beautiful body. 


Do you remember what it was about him that inspired you to get in touch with him?
I believe I met him on ModelMayhem or Instagram. I saw that he was an extremely handsome guy and he was already posing for a photographer 

Was he immediately up for a shoot?
Yes, He had already posed for a few photographers, so it was fairly easy to get him to pose for me

Did you have to bring up nude work, or was it already a given? 
I saw that he had already posed nude in the past. I typically send a few of my favorite nudes from previous shoots to gage their comfort level.


Is the wooden chair that you use just for shooting, or is it a part of your own dining room? 
It's actually a chair I primarily use for photo shoots, but it does sit in our family room. My partner sits on it when he's putting his shoes on. lol

How much direction do you give your models about the chair and poses?
It really depends on the model. Several guys have dripped pre cum on that chair. lol

What was Chris like to work with?
Chris was incredibly easy to work with. We seemed to hit it off immediately. I always start off with clothes first, then ease the model into it.


Are you a 'chatter' during shoots, play music, or is it usually quiet except for giving direction?
I'm definitely a chatter. I find it helps the model to relax more, especially if they're just meeting me for the first time.

Did you get any feedback from Chris after he saw the final images?
t's been a while since our first shoot, but he did seem to like them. He's posed for me three or four times now. He's always great to work with and laid back.

How did/has Covid impacted your shoots, both the amount, and the process.
It took several months before models were comfortable enough to come out again. Once I got a few to come over to shoot, they were comfortable shooting.

No comments: