Saturday, October 22, 2022

Hunting Humans: Bart by Jan Deuzeman


'Cruelty Is A Gift Humanity Has Given Itself'
Hannibal Lecter 


We should know by now, we've certainly been taught.  Whenever a murderous psychopath is on the loose, there are things we should never do. First off, never run upstairs if you're being chased. Come on, you'll eventually end up in a corner, then usually, butchered, then thrown out a window.  Don't go in the woods at night, that one should be a given. Lastly, NEVER EVER EVER have sex, it never ends well, especially if you're a guy.  

As I've grown older, I've become less tolerate of cruelty in television and films.  As much as I loved Game of Thrones, there were some scenes, especially with Sansa and Theon, I had to skip.  I know it may sound odd, but I could watch, and enjoy, a thousand warriors being burned alive by a dragon, but some of those intimate torture scenes were too much for me.  Regardless of this however, I still love horror films, especially during the month of October.


Although I usually skip the run of the mill slasher flicks, there is nothing better than a well crafted horror film.  The mystery and suspense, the creativity of killings, the set-up, the pay off, and the many hot hunks of horror I've crushed on over the years.  The key to a great horror film however, is the quality of killer.


Some of my favorite movie maniacs include Hannibal Lecter, Aaron, (Primal Fear) Pennywise, Ghostface, Jason Voorhees, Patrick Bateman and Bruce the shark from Jaws.   I also love some of the spirit villains from classic horror films like the house from The Haunting and the fog in The Fog.  

I've always had a fascination with serial killers and even took a 'Behind the Mind of a Serial Killer' course in University.  Our text book was titled  'Hunting Humans', and it focused on the rise of the multiple murderer.  The class took a look at serial killers through an education lens, the book, through the written word.  For photographers, it's a visual lens, and that's exactly how artist Jan Deuzeman chronicled his examination into the mind of a murderer.


In my shoots, although I can do all kinds of different things, with Halloween I can really go all the way, I love it!'


The last time I featured Jan's work with Dutch Bart, the images featured a beautiful summer day on a lake near Sibculo. (HERE:)  Today's theme is a little darker with Bart taking on the many sides, and the many murderous methods, of a bludgeoning butcher. 


'Halloween was always interesting to me, I like the scary things, I like the horror movies. When I started to take self-portraits, I wanted to do something with the theme, and so the first self-portrait was simple but effective. A bandage around my eyes with some blood. 


The next year I wanted to do something even more special, so I did a Chelsea smile. Then, on Youtube I found my inspiration, so the year after,  my eye was ripped out. (with more SFX effects)  This year the focus was working with make up. This year, Bart wanted to combine Halloween with his passion for leather. The result was that I made him a dirty skull face. '


As you can see, Bart not only got tightly into his leather, he also got deep into character.  Jan sent along a huge selection of images with Bart creating new and unique poses and looks with each piece of leather, each weapon he held, and with each of his upcoming and eagerly anticipated kills. 


We had already come up with the plan to do something horny with the theme “Halloween”. Jan is a good makeup artist so it was a small effort for him to make it as scary as possible. They turned out really well. Jan is a top photographer who knows what to photograph. I hope viewers enjoy it as much as we did creating it.





No comments: