Saturday, November 4, 2023

A Looker in Lavender

I don't remember much about the early eighties, but I do have vivid memories of the latter part of the decade.  Most of my memories stem from music and color.  Shades of purple seemed to be everywhere.  Almost every girl I went to school with had various pieces of clothing in various shades of purple.  Teachers wore light purple, and I often arriving home to find my mother in the living room doing yoga in a pair of purple yoga pants.

Recently I saw some of these shots of supermodel Marcus Schenkenberg Roller skating shirtless in a hot pair of purple shorts.  I'd seen similar images before, but I never really knew the story behind them.  It didn't surprise me to learn that the shots were taken in 1989, while  Schenkenberg was Roller skating in Venice Beach.

What I didn't know however, is that these shots, or so the story goes, were the first images that helped launch the then 21 year old, into the world of modeling.  The Swedish born Schenkenberg was a struggling actor in Los Angeles at the time, when spotted roller skating by photographer Barry King

I'm a big fan of King's work, especially the many male celebrities he shot early in their careers.  If not for King we wouldn't have those early shirtless shots of; Milo Ventimiglia, Johnathon Schaech, Craig Sheffer, Jensen Ackles, shirtless in a cowboy hat, and so many other great shots of some of Hollywood's hottest up and coming actors.

Not sure if the stories completely true, but I don't think anyone could ignore the looker in lavender skating along the boardwalk that day. If King just happened to be there when Schenkenberg breezed by it was a fortunate coincidence for both them, and all of us.

Marcus Schenkenberg on Instagram

No comments: