Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Natural Causes: Martin by Drew Kamp


'Martin is a very natural model.'


We all remember having our picture taken as a kid and hearing someone telling us to 'look natural.'  Sometimes it was the person behind the camera, most times, it was your mom with some 'helpful' direction.  The advice was solid, yet often motivated by our desire to look good by making odd facial expressions, disparate to how our face usually looked.


When it comes to capturing the male form, sometimes odd facial expressions are required.  For some shoots, especially for promotional campaigns or advertising, the goal is to capture something very specific.  In those cases, the model is required to create expressions and poses suited to a specific concept or theme.

Some of my favorite shoots, and favorite photographers, are those who utilize a more natural style of shooting.  The goal with this 'documentary' method is to simply capture what they see.  That doesn't necessarily mean the shoot is easier, it's just different.  Usually, the artist's direction to the model is just to utilize their location and interact with their surroundings.  The photographer then follows capturing what they see.


As can see from these shots of Martin, that following sometimes comes with risks.  Being completely naked, Martin was free to climb wet and slippery rocks with his hands free to support his adventures.  As the documentarian, photographer Drew Kamp was also scaling those wet rocks, he however, was also carrying his camera to capture every 'natural' moment.


I can't believe it's been about 10 years since I first featured the Berlin based photographer's work. (HERE:)  Since then however, I've continued to follow Drew's work on-line and we've kept in touch about another piece on the site.  Recently, we were discussing one of Drew's latest projects PRUDE.  PRUDE is not only a queer photography based on-line magazine, but also a networking platform for artists and models.

The timing seemed perfect for the project given the changes in political and social posture towards art, male nudity and LBGTQ issues.  For years, it felt like we were on an upward trajectory, but lately, many on the far right seemed determined to roll back the progress and rights so passionately fought for.  Most of us on social media have experienced the censorship and inequity targeted towards queer based art.  


If you check out the pictorials featured on PRUDE, you'll recognize some of the artists, and know some of the familiar faces, and bodies.  One of my favorite shoots was Drew's work with Martin.  I love when a location matches and compliments a model's energy and beauty. I especially love how Martin utilized the specular space, not just posing, but exploring and interacting with the scenic shores along Island on Spain where he and Drew shot.


How did you connect with Martin?
I followed Martin for quite a while. When I discovered that he was going to be in Gran Canaria at the same time as me I asked him if he would like to do a shooting together. 

Had Martin had much experience with nude shoots?
Yes, he did. He stopped for a while and our session was his first shooting for quite some time. It was also on his birthday.


What cany you share about the location?
It's a remote part of Gran Canaria. The exact location I would like to keep it a secret. 

Was it as deserted as it appears, did you have to worry about people nearby?
That day we were alone, but it's easy to find nudists or fishermen around there. It's also a popular spot for photography and once I even saw an event organizer preparing for a proposal. 


What was your favorite part about working with Martin?
Martin is extremely creative, and feels very comfortable being naked. Martin is a very natural model. 

Anything about the day, a memory, a moment stand out?
It was Martin's 30th birthday, so he was very excited to go back to modelling. For me it was also very special as I followed Martin for a very long time and I always wanted to work with him. On top of that, being able to do this in such beautiful scenery was perfect.


Can you share what prompted you to start PRUDE magazine? 
I started prude to feature photography and illustration works that feature the male body in a beautiful and natural way. I guess I am interested in works that feature nudity in a natural way, and diverse views. I also wanted to have an independent platform where artists and photographers can share their work without the regular censorship on social-media.


A few behind the scenes shots

Who was the other model who appeared briefly in the shoot?
Another secret 😅. Just kidding, that was my partner. 



No comments: