Friday, June 14, 2019

Stephen Mailer: ACTORS & Skin


Although I've long since soured on Alan Dershowitz, I'd always loved the book and subsequent film adaptation of Reversal of Fortune, (1990) and tuned in during a recent airing on my 90's movie channel.  I'd seen the movie on VHS when I was a kid, and was looking forward to again seeing Jeremy Irons and Glenn Close in their roles as Claus and Sunny von Bülow.


The remains compelling, especially given Claus  von Bülow died just last month.  In addition to the great performances by Irons, Close and Ron Siver  as Alan Dershowitz, I took note of Alan's cute son Elon this time around. Elon was played by actor Stephen Mailer.

The Mailer's

Mailer, son of renowned author Norman Mailer, was an actor I enjoyed in many roles, and on many VHS movie nights in the eighties and nineties.  Although Mailer never became incredibly famous, it wasn't through lack of work, nor of talent.  Mailer put in some great performances in many movies I bet you watched over the years.

With Dad and Lauren Graham on The Gilmore Girls (2004)

In addition to Reversal of Fortune, Mailer was many successful films from big screen hits including Cry-Baby, A League of their Own and smaller films like Rabbit Hole, Baby Mama and one of my favorites, Red Meat.  Mailer also appeared on television with roles on Law & Order, the daytime soap As The World Turns and a memorable turn with his father on Gilmore Girls in 2010.

With Sandra Oh (Rabbit Hole, 2010)

I think I first discovered Mailer when I was in high school and rewound and re-watched his butt scene in the 1994 comedy Getting In, more times than I can remember.  The nude scene in Getting in was one of three of Mailer's nude scenes, all of which occurred in three consecutive movies in the mid to late 90's.  Check out all three in the SKIN part of the ACTORS & SKIN post below.

Getting In (1994)

Below: Stephen with Rick Albershardt and Philip Seyour Hoffman vacationing in Ruidoso, New Mexico


Reversal of Fortune (1990)

Cry-Baby 1990

No comments: