Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Power Behind the Throne: Ken by Lights On Studio


'You sit on a throne of lies!'
Buddy the Elf


Most children used to get their first visuals of Santa from books.  Those big picture story books they are read to at bedtime.  Parents haul from the top shelf each December building excitement and anticipation as the 25th approaches.  Although the internet may have changed this experience for children growing up today, but those early visuals sparked the Christmas magic that can only exist in a child's imagination.


Although the source of our first visuals may differ, for most of us, our first actual experience with meeting Father Christmas up close was fairly universal.  If you grew up anytime before the 2000's, you probably had your first meeting with Santa at a mall.  The set up was pretty much the same.  A crowded corner, a long line, a Christmas display, and a big Santa throne.


The display was usually quite elaborate, colorfully decorated in an attempt to hold a child's attention until Santa arrived from the North Pole. After what seemed like an eternity, Santa would finally arrive, you'd then have your 45 seconds, sputter out your list, then leave more deflated than excited with a mini candy cane as your prize.


When Lights on Studio's Tom Nakielski sent on his Christmas shoot with Ken, I my first thoughts were of those holiday displays.  Tom's images were an instant Christmas feast for the eyes.  The appetizer; the delectable colors, the holiday background, the decorations and props.  The entrĂ©e of course is Ken. Ken has such beautiful eyes, and that smile!  I especially devoured his incredible physique and the lines and magnificent curves he created though pose.


Although seconds were certainly in order, I was intrigued by what I perceived had to be the dessert.  Now it may not be as sweet, chocolatey or gooey as what one would usually think of as an after dinner treat, but for some reason, the culmination of this particular meal was the chair.  I know it's just some wood and material glued and nailed together, but the antique Queen Anne fascinated me.


It wasn't just that it reminded me of Santa's throne, the focal piece of those Santa Village displays.  It was more the way in which Ken flexible physique contrasted with the hard, square and fixed object. Tom's images capture Ken on, over and beside the four legged seat, creating an erotically ductile power behind Santa's throne.


Ken's elegant poses come from his experience as a dancer, singer, actor and musician. Based in New York, Ken is often traveling on the road, providing the opportunity for he and Tom to connect.  Tom had been working with another model for a holiday shoot, but when that fell through, he jump on the opportunity to work with Ken who was going to be in town for work for a week.


'Not only in shape, and good looking but also a dancer. Perfect. Ken is from Hawaii but traveling the states. It was my good fortune that he happened to be in Lansing just as I was looking for someone to do a Christmas themed session. He said he wasn't really a model but more of a dancer. But he was as good as any "model" I have worked with. And better than most.'


'Ken was a joy to work with. When I was suggesting a pose he would say "don't worry I got a handle on this". And he would go through various poses exceeding my expectations. He exuded confidence in front of the camera. His poses emitted both grace and masculinity. To top it off as I was thinking of a pose to do he would already have suggestions of what to do. I am thrilled to see an idea come to life before my eye. Living art.'


'I had a lot of fun working with Tom!  Along with efforts to capture his visions, Tom was to open to letting me express.  While I moved freely within the constructs of the theme/props, Tom shot continuously making for great unexpected art. Of course, I say that as a dancer who is very comfortable with nudity and movement.'





No comments: