Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Jack DePew by Jerry Buteyn


'One of the things I enjoy most about shooting is getting to know my subjects. I like to find out what makes them who they are and then bring that out in the shoot.'


I've been wanting to start watching Yellowjackets since reading reviews of the pilot last fall.  This past weekend, I finally dove in.  I'm only three episodes in, but was hooked five minutes into the pilot. Some scenes are a bit difficult to watch, but the incredible cast, well written characters, and the creative storytelling, make it well worth the journey.  I look forward to catching another three episodes when time allows this weekend.


One of my favorite storylines in the pilot, focused on the character of Shauna.  Shauna is played as an adult by the brilliant Melanie Lynskey who I recently enjoyed in Mrs. America and Castle Rock.  As a teen, Shauna is played by the equally compelling Sophie NĂ©lisse.  Through Shauna we're also introduced to Jeff played as an adult by Warren Kole.  I first took notice of Warren during his stint on Riverdale, but sadly the show didn't really do much with his character.   


In the flashback scenes, we're introduced to Jeff as a teen played by actor Jack DePew.  I recognized Jack instantly, his beautiful face isn't one you're lucky to forget.  I wasn't sure though, exactly where I recognized him from.  I headed to IMDB and remembered that I'd seen him on episodes of The Fosters and 2 Broke Girls.  These were two shows that I actually didn't really watch, but in the case of 2 Broke Girls, I had to check it out after seeing stills of a shirtless Jack from the episode.

Since those early television appearance, Jack has gone to work consistently in film and on television. Some of his other roles include the film The Happys and appearances on Mad Men, Major Crimes, Modern Family as well as a regular role on series Extinct.  I was looking forward to seeing more of Jack, and teen Jeff, on Yellowjackets, but I think he only appeared in two episodes of the first season, the second, which I haven't seen yet, aired this past Sunday. 


When I was checking Jack's resume on IMDB,  I also had to check out his photo gallery. There were several beautiful portraits which I saw credited to a photographer whose work I've been fortunate to have featured on FH.  It was close to a decade ago that I first saw, and then was fortunate to feature the work of photographer, actor and director Jerry Buteyn.


In my previous piece showcasing Jerry's work, (Wanderlust) I featured some of my favorites shots from the talented artist.  There's a soulful, almost spiritual feel in Jerry's images, I think in part, due to the connection he has with his subjects.  Jerry not only shoots, and directs many up and coming actors, he also was one, appearing in several of the 80's most popular television shows.  Jerry also supports young talent through is work as a writer and director. 

Check out caps from some of Jack's roles, including his rear nude scene in The Happys on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Jerry Buteyn on Instagram

No comments: