Sunday, September 18, 2022

Thanks Patton Oswalt!


'Oh what a read! What a lovely lovely read!!!'


There are many films that I've wanted to see after first reading the book.  There are also a few books that I've read, after seeing the film that it was based on.   This however, is the first time that I saw a movie, thought it was good, but not great, then read a book about it, and watched it again, and again and again.  That movie that I originally was thought was 'just' good, is now on the list of one of my all-time favorite films. 

That's exactly what happened this summer, after reading a Tweet from actor and comedian Patton Oswalt.  Oswalt was promoting the book Blood, Sweat & Chrome: The Wild and True Story of Mad Max: Fury Road.  The book, written by Kyle Buchanan, a pop culture reporter for the New York Times, chronicles the making of, the behind the scenes drama, and the almost 15 year journey to get the film made..

Kyle Buchanan

I was initially tempted to just scroll by and ignore Oswalt's Tweet.  As stated, I'd already seen the film on a movie channel a few years ago.  I remember at the time thinking that Charlize Theron was fierce and that there was a lot of action, but the movie didn't really grab me or leave a lasting impact.  Oswalt however, went on to Tweet that regardless of your feelings about the film, if you're a lover of film, you really have to read the behind the scene details about how the film came together.  That comment, triggered my interest. 


I ordered the book from Amazon and devoured it after it arrived in just a few days.  Oswalt was right, if you love movies, even if you haven't seen or even liked this particular one, Buchanan's book is fantastic.  With a comprehensive set of interviews with cast and crew, the author takes you inside director George Miller's epic masterpiece.  How the film finally came together, the casting, the filming and the behind the scenes dramas including some pretty intense conflicts between the movies two leading actors. 
 
Check out my posts spotlighting the film and it's cast on the next two pages, HERE: & HERE:

No comments: