Saturday, May 18, 2024

Days of Wine and Poses: Michael Knowles by Bob Burkhardt


'Michael ALWAYS brings a sense of drama to his photos.'


One of the things I love about art is when theme and mood collide.  We've all seen shoots with themes, it might be a color, a fashion element or concept, but they don't all impact of how the shoot, and individual images are perceived and felt by the viewer.  When photographer Bob Burkhardt sent on his recent shoot with model and performer Michael Knowles, I both saw and felt the theme instantly.  

In part, it might have been because the first image I saw was the one above.  Most times we see a play the first thing we see isn't the actor, most often then not it's the set.  That first visual can set a tone, and the job of the performer, in this case Michael, is to enhance and intensify that tone, and that's exactly what Michael and Bob accomplished within this creative collaboration. 


Michael and Bob have worked together close to a half dozen times over the years.  As an actor, dancer and singer, Michael requires visuals to represent, depict and promote his art, and Bob was one of the first photographers he reached out to work with.  Bob shares that Michael always brings the drama, and as you can see instantly from this series, the strength and the power.  Michael often creates the concepts, and Bob works hard to both capture, and help bring them to life. 


'Michael is a genuinely good and kind man. Michael has also attended and been a part of several of our Body&Soul shows over the years. Any photographer would be lucky to work with him. After our first shoot, he went on to work with photographers around the world and has definitely carved a space for himself in the field. '



Michael shares that he and Bob discuss both concepts and themes before getting together.  This gives Bob time to plan location and backdrops, and work out what lighting will work best before the day of the shoot.  They want to ensure there's not one wasted minute during their time together and that the focus is on creating.  For this shoot, the backdrop and lighting, and of course those wine bottles, were all used with a very specific intent.


'The symbolism of the wine bottle is all about expression. For this shoot, when I pose or do movements it's all about the feelings of being buzzed/drunk.😄 That’s how lubricated my spirit and limbs are; whatever I feel my body starts to move.' 


We often assume that a drink, especially a glass of wine, is about relaxing and taking it easy.  I was fascinated that for Michael, it was so connected to movement.  Alcohol can relax, but as many people have experienced, it can also heighten movement, not to mention the drama.  I know I'm not the only one who has experienced dancing with more freedom when a little buzzed, and experimented with certain dance moves, that I'd never dare attempt if I'd been sober. 


An impetus for the theme might lie in part, with how Bob prepares and conducts his shoots.  Michael shares that their shoots are effortless executed and in part that might be how they begin. Given the length of their creative relationship, most shoots begin with a welcoming hug. With the goal of creating a stress free and relaxing environment to create, Bob sometimes offers Michael a glass of wine. Michael usually accepts, and feels this has helped him loosen up and become more uninhibited when the camera begins to click. 


'When Bob and I first met back in 2012/13, we immediately clicked. Bob was very kind and genuine; and still is.  Bob’s work inspired me to be more comfortable and confident in my own skin. I had lost over 160lbs back then so I still had excess skin.  Despite that, Bob made me confident to realize that it was a celebration and it was time to embark my journey as a model. '


What, if any are your boundaries for a shoot? 
There were no boundaries, that’s how comfortable I was, everything was considered pure art. 

Do you have a favorite shot, or theme you and Bob have captured? 
My favorite shot/them was the “dark angel” concept; that was taken back in 2015 I believe and he chose one of the pictures to be featured in his Body & Soul event!; very popular and always packed with people! 


What is the best feedback you've received  about a modeling image? 
The best feedback is when a fan said, “YOU LOOK FREE, YOU LOOK HAPPY

Do you have a dream scenario for a shoot.?
My dream scenario is to be a MERMAN WITH “5” fins!!! 🧜🏽‍♂️ Which is my 2025 project!!!

As a performer, what draws you to 'center stage' 
Being in front of the camera and an audience lures me to center stage. Cause even though I’m posing in front of the camera; I’m putting on a performance for the photographer to let him/her know that I’m uninhibited, take good direction, easy to work with, and most of all, I’ll do the utmost stunts to get the best shot! 📸  I always channel my inner Michael cause a BIG chunk of my life was sheltered and hidden within a shell; so when I pose the inner artistic version of me comes out. 





No comments: