Thursday, February 15, 2018

Blast From The Past: Michael Beck


I always wanted to see 1980's Xanadu. I liked Olivia Newton-John, knew some of the music from my childhood and thought actor Michael Beck was hot. Those are three pretty good reasons to check out a film. TCM aired the film about 3:30am in the morning this past Christmas Eve. I was at away for Christmas, but set the DVR to watch later.

Xanadu

I have now tried 3 times, but on those three occasions, I have not been able to make it past the half way mark. Unlike Newton-John's Grease, which was based on a Broadway show, Xanadu doesn't really have any hook or story to follow. Even with Newton-John, Beck and Gene Kelly, the movie just seems like one long, and not so creative, 80's music video. Now I guess, that was enough to bring in an audience, in the 80's, but trying to watch it today is taking a bit more time and effort than I'm willing to give.


The attempted viewing wasn't a total loss. I did download a few of the songs I remember liking and I can say now that I tried. Although I knew of actor Michael Beck, I hadn't actually seen him in anything before, but his hot look, and sexy smile, has me wanting to see more. A little research told me the sexy Beck hasn't done any on screen nudity, at least none that I could see or find, but it alert me to a few of his movies that I plan on checking out.


'The creative experience on Xanadu was at times difficult and frustrating, as well as, joyous and wonderful. I loved working with Olivia. She is the down to earth, beautiful person you hope for her to be. A wonderful lady. And Gene Kelly? Are you kidding me? A Hollywood icon! He was thoroughly professional, personable and very kind to me. I am glad to have had the opportunity to work with both of them.'

Houston Knights


The most interesting project on Beck's resume seems to be his leading role in the 1979 film The Warriors about street gangs in New York. The film has become a cult hit, and after reading a bit about some of the behind the scenes drama, I look forward to finding a copy. (Behind the Chaotic, Drug-Fueled, and Often Terrifying Making of a Cult Classic) Beck wasn't initially the film's star or focus, that was initially supposed to be Fox, played by actor Thomas G. Waites. After Waites was fired early in the shoot, director Walter Hill moved the focus to Beck and his character Swan.



The Warriors

'He was a very impressive specimen, and he was even more impressive on film. If it wasn’t working with Thomas, it wasn’t too hard to figure out who was going to be the next star.'
Walter Hill, Director, The Warriors


'But hedonism was everywhere on the set, and, all of a sudden, cocaine and women were now available to Beck in even greater quantities as leading man. 'I had money in the bank. I had a couple of girlfriends. I had all the drugs I wanted to take. And my career was on the threshold,' he recalls. 'All of those things that I wanted were either there or potentially there, in greater intensity going forward. And the knowledge of that, or the realization of that, just didn’t answer that hole in myself. That God-shaped hole.'


No comments: