Friday, December 4, 2020

His Own World: Bo Pressly by Gruenholtz


'Being in the comfort of my own space gave a great sense of ease and allowed me to fully submerse myself into my own world.'


With some exceptions, such as editorials or advertising campaigns, the goal of most artists shooting the male form, is to capture an organic and pure image of the model they're shooting.  Whenever I ask a model or photographer about a specific shoot, they usually comment on what they did to create a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere.  One of my favorite approaches used by many artists, is to shoot models in their own home, a space all ready filled with items that bring them comfort and joy.
 

Studios can be large, bare and cold spaces, especially so for a model posing nude. Even when props or furniture are used, there is little to distract or support a new or nervous model. We are never more our selves, or more relaxed than when at home, which is exactly why New York based artist Gruenholtz so often utilizes a model's home as a shooting location.

I first introduced FH readers to Gruenholtz's work back in 2017. (Routinely Intimate)  The piece focused on the New York based artist Morning Rituals series, a series to capture beautiful men first thing in the morning.  The goal is to capture guys at the beginning of their day, men doing their regular morning routine at home.  Comfortable  in their own skin, being their true selves before having to put on the mask so many of us feel we must don. before heading out to interact with the rest of the world.


When I first saw the portfolio of model Bo Pressly it was clear from his image, that he was a dancer.  The long beautiful lines he created with his body were one of the main reasons I reached out to him about featuring his work. Bo's worked tirelessly as a dancer as long as he can remember.  He also became fascinated with the idea of capturing his ever changing physique over time.  This lead him to focus on body shoots as a means of documentation.   Bo is passionate about his physical form being his most important work, and feels privileged to engage and explore the world from within it. 


In addition to his incredible body and the poses and lines he created, I was also struck by the beautiful  lines and shape of Bo's face.  Not all models have such handsomely distinct harmony between their body and face.  The strength and beauty radiating from Bo's poses is perfectly balanced with the emotion and beauty from his eyes and face. Creating such a sensual and elegant flow is instinctive to many dancers and so magnificently captured by Gruenholtz through his morning ritual series.

'My experience shooting with Gruenholtz was a nice one. He was very calm and peaceful during the shoot. We shot at my studio on the Upper West Side in Manhattan. He really disappeared behind the camera and allowed me to explore movement and poses on my own; he gave minimal direction. He simply observed and captured what I was creating.  My goal was to create a transcendent image filled with beauty.'

Bo Pressley on Instagram

1 comment:

Hot guys said...

He's giving me ballet-dancer kinda vibes in this shoot 👌🏻😏