'The sunflower is mine, in a way.'
Vincent van Gogh
When it comes to flowers, there is a sense of ownership, I think mainly it's because the reasons are usually personal. Sure, for some it may come down to color or shape, but for most, it's because of our experiences with the flower and it's impact on memorable moments in our lives.
I always feel as sense of sadness when sunflower season comes to an end. Not just because I'll miss their beauty, but because of how savage their last days can be. The majestic flower takes months to grow, yet remains in bloom for just days. Although they may bloom for up to two weeks, as soon as they open to the sun, the predators arrive.
All types of bees and flies are drawn to the center disc. Butterflies and moths feed on the protein-rich nectar and even hummingbirds are drawn to the blooms and nectar. With so many insects and birds picking away at them, they begin to denigrate and die. Once the flower is dead, it begins to weigh down the stalk, hanging close to the ground, no longer able to face and soak in the sun.
Still, much like life itself, those far too brief moments of beauty make the sad and brutal ending worth the ride. This series from Kyiv based artist and visual content creator Artur Vovchenko beautifully illustrates the last day of a sunflower setting. I first saw this series from Artur, featuring model Husak Oleksandr, a few years ago on Pornceptual. I really wanted to give it, and the sunflower, another brief moment in the sun.





No comments:
Post a Comment