Friday, September 25, 2026

Igby Rigney: In Brief

 I always brought my own tensions to wherever I went.

Although I had conflicting feelings about The Shards, I didn't about star Igby Rigney who played Bret.  Rigney had a challenging task playing a character who in some ways was both the hero and the villain, the protagonist and the antagonist, well, at least one of them.  As a writer, Bret was also directly driving the story.


I'd never heard or seen Rigney before The Shards, although one of his projects, the mini-series Midnight Mass, is on my list of shows to watch.  I think part of the reason was that the character of Bret reminded me a bit of myself in high school.  Not the creepy part, (I hope) but the writer part, and the part of Bret that never feels a true part of the group.  His sexuality also of course played a role, but Bret actually seemed to maneuver through those complexities more smoothly than I did.  I certainly wasn't bedding multiple hotties,  and rich married men in my teens.


I also looked a bit like the actor, and had his exact same hair style through most of my teen years.  I however, went to high school in the 90's, so can't blame the 1980's on that overly dramatic side part I styled and sprayed each morning before heading to school.  



Given it was a Ryan Murphy produced show, a little gratuitous skin was certainly not surprising, but Rigney in tighty whities and black briefs was also accurate for the time period.  I don't think I knew there was underwear for guys other than small briefs until I got older and realized not everyone wore the multi-colored six-pack brief packs that my mother gifted me with every Christmas.  I played sports and spent a fair amount of time in locker rooms, and briefs did seem the undie of choice for most of the guys in my school.  I wouldn't be caught dead in loose boxers, those were what I thought only old men work and boxer briefs were just taking ofg due to Marky Mark.

Igby Rigney on Instagram

No comments: