Friday, November 30, 2018

12 Days


On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Nick May in The Houseboy

It was back in 2008 that I began the series 12 Days.  The original intent of the category was to highlight Christmas movies with male nudity.  I was inspired after seeing Nick May in Houseboy, especially the scene featuring some of the actors lying naked under and around the Christmas tree. There was a certain holiday magic with the mix of male skin, tinsel and Christmas lights.


Over the next few years I did one or two pieces around the holiday season, but it wasn't until 2014 that the series really took off, with 15 posts devoted to the theme.  I loved including classic Christmas movies along with modern holiday films and undressing those Christmas sweater actors who appeared within them.

Andrew Walker in Dashing Through The Snow

The series took off with the rise of Hallmark Christmas movies.  The Hallmark movies are usually focused on a female lead, with their male counterparts often serve as window dressing.  They always cast a hot male lead and are usually written as caring, upstanding and romantic characters.  Given how angelic most of the male characters are written, it was fun to find other roles where the actor was a little more unwrapped.

Aaron O'Connell in With Love, Christmas

The interesting thing about Hallmark movies, is that you don't really have to pay attention to enjoy them.  My mother always had them on when I was back home visiting, and would often catch just a few minutes of one, see an actor I found attractive, and make note to look him up when I had the time.  I often have on at home as background, a movie I can have on, but not have to pay close attention to.  They are almost like music, you can do other things, cook, work, write, and still look up from time to time and still get the gist of the story.

I also love the variety of actors usually cast.  There are new actors on their way up, there are once in demand actors on their way down.  Their is also occasionally a popular established actor, as well as  soap stars, reality stars and more than a few male models in their first role.  I also especially love researching the numerous Canadian actors who frequent Hallmark movies.  Since most of the films are shot in Canada, Hallmark movies are full of Canadian actors and actress's in both lead and supporting roles. 

Marcus Rosner in Evergreen 

I almost ended the series this year.  It was mother who first introduced me to the Hallmark movie mainly because most of November and December, they were on 24/7 at my parents house.  I so connected them with her, with this being the first Christmas without my mother, I wasn't sure I would feel like turning them on.  But... the goal of most of the Hallmark movies is to comfort, and a couple of weeks ago, that's just what happened when I turned one on.  I liked the male actor, and although only watched or heard) about half of it, found it comforting to have one in the background as I painted the ceiling in my kitchen.  Check out the movie, and the former WB teen idol in the lead on Page 2 HERE:

Steve Lund in Christmas Incorporated

No comments: