Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thumb Down: People Magazine



As a child in the 80's, Thursday was grocery day. It was my fathers payday and therefore the night of the week my family headed to the grocery store. As my siblings ran up and down each aisle my mother knew I would be fine, safe by the check outs looking at all the magazines.



In the early 80's People magazine usually had a famous celebrity, Cher, Meryl Streep, Michael Jackson on the cover. The casts of tv shows, Family Ties, Dynasty or Dallas. Rock Stars, movie themes and royalty were the usual staple except for the odd political scandal or celebrity death. There covers were sometimes almost art with stars actually posing for cover shoots and sitting down for in depth conversations with the writers from the magazine.



Things sure have changed... and so has my interest in buying the magazine. Once a weekly purchase, now I buy it once or twice a year. I might throw it in the cart if there is a cover story of interest or if someone calls and wants to bring me something when I am home sick with the flu. Seems that around the mid 90's actors and singers are on the cover began to lesson. When they are, it is rare the shot is taken just for the magazine. Replacing the talent are more stories of celebrities in trouble, on drugs, or looking to gain back the fame they had lost. Scandals dominate a large percentage of covers and of course reality stars are now a must! (btw: best of luck today Kim...)



It is funny to me that not all reality is the same with People. Shows like Survivor and Amazing Race are rarely covered (although rating winners) and Big Brother, this summer's ratings hit rarely even makes the inside. Yet... The Bachelor & The Bachelorette made 5 covers the past 11+ months (not forgetting last years Jake Pavelka who also got two covers). Princess Diana was always a regular cover girl on People but I cannot remember any other subject getting so much coverage. My research indicates the tv show Dallas, arguably the most tv show not only in the US, but around the world for close to a decade in the 80's had a total of 10 covers from 1980 through 1986. Funny that the number 10 is the exact same number of covers featuring The Bachelor and Bachelorette... Could there be some agreement between magazine and show? Not sure, but the ratings for the current installment are about on par with Big Brother and the Bacelorette has been on the cover twice and Brendon and Rachel and Jeff and Jordan are nowhere to be seen.

Let me know People when you lose the reality 'stars' and pages and pages of 'b' stars out on the town (masked as 'fashion') pictures, and get back to covering people who are talented and interesting!


No comments: