Friday, December 24, 2021

12 Days: Laurie from Little Women


'Oh , you think I'm beautiful?'
Theodore 'Laurie' Laurence


Each Christmas, I attempt to profile an actor who had an iconic role in a holiday film.  Past Christmas Day entries have included; Jimmy Stewart, Zach WardThomas Brodie-Sangster and Zach Galligan.  One of my favorites was on child star Mark Lester who appeared in the Christmas/horror flick, Who Slew Auntie Roo.  I loved the film, and enjoyed reading about Lester's career. 

Douglass Montgomery (1933)

This year, I found it hard to find an actor to feature.  I decided then on a character.  Little Women isn't specifically a Christmas film, but due to it's Christmas and winter scenes, is often associated with the holiday.  One of the few male characters, and the only young male character of note is Theodore 'Laurie' Lawrence.  Laurie is kind character closely connected to the March family, especially close to both Jo, and eventually Amy. 

Peter Lawford (1949)

Over the years, Laurie has been played by hundreds, if not thousands of actors, on stage and on the screen.  Most notably, Laurie was played on film by Douglass Montgomery in 1933, Peter Lawford in 1949, Christian Bale in 1994 and Timothée Chalamet in 2019.  Other well known actors to have taken on the role include:  Joel Grey,(1958) Richard Gilliland, (1978) and High School Musicals Lucas Grabeel (2018)

Christian Bale (1994)


The only two Laurie's that I've actually seen are Montgomery and Bale's.  Despite my love of Chalamet. the 2019 version remains on my 'to watch' list.  I tend to be stubborn when it comes to watching re-makes, even though each of the versions I listed was a re-make itself.  The book by Louisa May Alcott was first published in 1869 with the first film version I believe being in 1917, with Milton Rosmer as Laurie, and again in 1918, this time with Conrad Nagel as Laurie.

Timothée Chalamet (2019)

'I shall never stop loving you; but the love is altered, and I have learned to see that it is better as it is.'
Laurie to Jo


 Jonah Hauer-King (2017)

When I was researching actors who played Laurie, there was a recent one that I'd not heard of before.  British actor Jonah Hauer-King played Laurie in an adaptation for British television.  The three part mini-series aired on the BBC in 2017.  I'm guessing most of you haven't heard of Hauer-King, but an upcoming role in a new film has me thinking he's going to be one to watch.  See more o the Hauer-King on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

No comments: