Monday, September 7, 2026

Cheerio!

This past weekend, I celebrated the Labor (Labour) Day weekend by spotlighting the work of Male Beauty by bengie.  In part two of the feature, I wrote about being a bit worried about Bengie..  The UK  based photographer had not replied to my last couple of messages, and was not 'seen' on his portfolio sites in close to a year.

I knew from Bengie of his health struggles, in particular, he noted his eye sight was failing.  I worried he may have died, which sadly was confirmed.  Although I had searched for an obituary using his real name, several readers, wrote and messaged that they had found the news and tribute on-line. (HERE:) I don't know why I didn't search for Bengie, other than assuming that a obituary wouldn't be found using his professional pseudonym.  Thanks to those who shared the news.

I should maybe have guessed something was up.  When I first contacted Bengie about featuring his work over a decade ago, he was instantly on board.  He didn't however, like to share much commentary.  He usually kept it to a few words, and nothing really personal or about himself.  He chose to have the work speak for itself.   

Then, about two years ago, Bengie asked me to share some of his story, especially about his home. Given Bengie shot primarily in his Chester based home, I loved hearing more about it, especially it's history,  Bengie sent on pages of info about his childhood, his family and the highs, lows and losses he experienced within the walls of the home he'd lived in his entire life.  I began incorporating his stories into my posts, beginning with Homebodies back in 2023. (HERE:)  Cheerio Bengie!  I hope his beloved home will end up with someone who will love it as much as you did.

No comments: