Monday, May 4, 2009

Dominik Hartel in Whispering Moon



I saw beautiful 26 year old Austrian actor Dominik Hartel (Credited as Dominik Hartl) in 'Whispering Moon' (Das Flüstern des Mondes) last year. This movie, directed by Michael Satzinger initially did not appeal to me. Of course I thought Dominik was completely adorable, but even the nudity did nothing for me during my first viewing. It is a complicated story, with not all aspects coming together in a way that made sense to me.

Well, I gave the film another shot last weekend, and really ended up loving it. Crazy yes, but truly one of the most creative stories ever to be thought up. The movie, also written by Michael Satzinger is difficult to explain, so I will not even try, lets just say it involves deadly frogs, a circus, conspiracy theories, and movie making. My second viewing had me loving Dominik even more (Why has he not made any more movies?) and enjoying the creative way in which the filmaker chose to tell his story. Like most stories, the heart of Whispering Moon is about relationships, and never has a relationship been told in such an odd way. If you have not seen it, I would say give it a shot. If you saw it and did not like it, try it again, it really requires 2 or more viewings to gain an appreciation for what really is a unique movie.














No comments: