Sunday, March 14, 2010

Just Because: Telephone


I know many of you will hate me for this but...

I watched Lady Gaga's 'Telephone' yesterday several times. Lady Gaga is growing on me. I can't say I love her but I do see her vocal talent and performance brilliance. I have had a bit of an issue with her getting so much attention for being original. To me she has combined the greatness of several past artists from Madonna to Grace Jones (with several others in between). To me, pulling past greatness into one package has been her greatness.

My issue with 'Telephone' was two fold. Firstly, I felt the video got rather boring and lost focus once Gaga left the prison. Up to this point it had my full attention. After the prison scenes it seemed all flash and color.

Secondly (and this is the part some might disagree with...) As much as doing something with Gaga is a smart move for any artist... Was anyone other than me just a wee bit disappointed Beyonce chose to do this particular song and video? She looked amazing all Betty Paged up but it seems to go against so much of what she has tried to 'be' in interviews and performances. She is an actress I know, but this did not seem the Beyonce I know, it seemed to be a Beyonce trying to grab a bit of Gaga's attention and audience. I don't think she needed either.

Just my thoughts...

3 comments:

Benjames75 said...

i have to dissagree slightly, although i do think gaga has been a little (lol) over exposed, to see beyonce so obviously give control over to another singer, whether it's for shared glory or genuine artistic compatibility, is refreshing, my only question is did they have to pay any royalities to tarantino cause that sure looked like the 'pussy wagon' they were driving. as for the video... like you said some much of it has been done before madonna to grace jones....but the kids these days have know fucking clue so they are in awe...good for them...lmao

Unknown said...

Are you pulling my gregariously gay leg? Lady Gaga is the first fresh artist to enter the scene in the last decade. Being of the older variety I remember the negative comments about Madonna in her hey day about how she was a no-talent-rip-off but the truth is she carved a path to a new future. Lady Gaga gives me goose flesh about the future of music. Finally there is someone who can compare to the ground breaking musical performance of the likes of Madonna. I eagerly await the next shocking chapter!

Anonymous said...

I like her, but she is really like a circus act, all flash little substance.