Wednesday, November 23, 2011

R.I.P John Neville



In most cases when I decide to do a R.I.P post it is of someone quite distant from me both personally and geographically. In the case of actor John Neville that is not exactly the case. I certainly did not know John well but in the mid eighties when I was about 11 I was directed by Mr. Neville (yes Mr.) in a stage production. I have written in the past about my acting aspirations and although this was not an entire play, it was 3 different scenes which were part of a closing showcase for a week long drama festival.

My main memory is of fascination mixed with fear. Fascination as I believe this was the first time I interacted with someone with a British accent and as a kid this intrigued me to no end. Fear as Mr. Neville held a stern presence. I was supposed to cry and his irritance with my inability to do so was frightening. Computers are an amazing thing really. I heard various stories about Mr. Neville, his stage history and accomplishments but it was when I got older and saw him on The X Files that I googled him to find out more about the man behind tearful (I did manage to squeak out a tear) direction. R.I.P Mr. Neville

No comments: