Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Kudos To Ezra Miller


I am not of the actual purpose in making 2011's We Need To Talk About Kevin. I watched it for the first time last week, and initially I struggled to find a reason to devote 112 minutes into examining the relationship between a mother and her disturbed mass murderer son. Usually movies such as this, even when not intending to, glorify the subject simply by giving it attention.


Even with my reservations on the subject matter, I am hoping the motive for making the film was what kept me glued for each of those 112 minutes, the acting. Although I cannot say I exactly enjoyed the film, watching Tilda Swinton and especially Ezra Miller was really breathtaking. Ezra's tour de force performance as Kevin was riveting. Kevin was deeply troubled, that was clear, but it's source was a question never answered. His mother Eva, tried as best she could to connected a child nconnectable. His depth of hate, birthed rather than nurtured. Although I wish the movie had chosen a different ending, maybe one which stuck to family, without adding the school element, the scenes between mother and son were some of the most powerful I have seen on film.

We Need To Talk About Kevin




Ezra followed up Kevin with one of my favorite movies from last season, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Although still playing a struggling teen, Patrick was the antithesis of Kevin and surely a great change of pace for Ezra to play. Erza Miller-One to watch!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower




1 comment:

Bobby F said...

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN is a film I have been wanting to see since it came out. The dark subject manner appeals to the inner-emotional wreck in me. And, of course, you know how much I love PERKS.