Sunday, August 18, 2013

Not Yet Good Night John Boy


I spent some time last week getting caught up on The Americans and watching Richard Thomas on the screen had me realize that I have been watching him on screen most of my life. Thomas still looks good at 63 and it is great to see him back on the tube.


Growing up in the 80's, repeats of The Walton's used to play on my local CBS every afternoon at 4. My mother encouraged our viewing, not just because of the family content, but because it kept it us out of her hair while she made supper. Although initially a Jim Bob fan, as I got older it was John Boy who drew most of my attention. I am sure I am not the only one who found something attractive about the combo of overalls, integrity and cheek mole.



One of my favorite performances from Thomas was in Stephen King's It (1990). I still believe It to be one of the best adaptations of one of King's books.


Last Summer (1969)

September 30, 1955 (1977)

I posted this video before, but I think besides playing a body on slab in another King adaptation, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, this is the only nudity from Thomas.







3 comments:

JiEL said...

I was very pleased when I could see him in the «Little House ion the Prairies»..

Just to say that I think he turned 62yo on June 13 2013...

That is what I have as info..

Cheers..

Bobby F said...

Is that clip from an episode of "The Walton's" or was it an outtake? I was always a Jim Bob and Ben fan. Know-it-all John Boy always got on my nerves and Jason was just blech.

Billy said...

They didn't show that on television, did they? The only bare asses that I remember ever being shown on network television were on NYPD.