Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Solid Ground: Ed Galloway by TR Pics


Recently, I was having a back and forth with Tom from TR Pics about choosing a model and shoot for our next feature o FH. I suggested a few models I liked, and Tom sent a few suggestions back. As we were waiting for them to respond I noticed that a model I really liked and follow on Instagram had posted a few shots from his work with Tom. I contacted him right away.


Model Ed Galloway has a warning on the top of his Instagram that reads, 'If you follow me, you could see my butt.' That warning proved more of invitation for me, especially give how incredibly hot and fit Ed is. Ed also shares on his Instagram that he is a father and husband, two roles most important to him. I was worried that Ed may not want to expose too much, but although Ed responded that he appreciate my sensitivity to his 'bashfulness', he loved the images he and Tom created and was eager to share the results.


Tom was equally thrilled to showcase his work with Ed and his first words back to me was what a 'solid good guy' Ed was and how much he enjoyed their shoot together. With all that's going on the world, solid has become a rare community in many people, and something I both appreciate, and find incredibly attractive. Ed's solidity doesn't just come from his commitment to his family, but as you can also see, a clear and passionate commitment to his body and fitness.


'Ed's penchant for posing has come with his older age. He was visiting his mother here in Dallas for her 80th birthday and contacted me to see if I'd want to shoot. I said yes, not really knowing what kind of model I'd get. Well, for a guy in his late 50s, he is in amazing shape. He also didn't mind shooting nudes. Ed works out a lot, and has just an all-around great personality. He was such a polite, great guy to shoot with!'


In addition to Ed's incredible physique, he also has a great face that looks like it was meant to be in front of the camera. I was sure Ed must have been modeling all of his life. Surprisingly, Ed shares he's relatively new to the field. Although he may be new to modeling, Ed's not new to being in front of a camera, but in the past, it was as an actor not a model. During the 80's, Ed appeared on a variety of TV shows, making guest shots on Brothers, The Facts of Life and Oh Madaline with the late great Madeline Kahn. With Ed's late entry into the modeling world, and his past as an actor, I was fascinated to learn more about the family man who's creative hobby includes nude modeling.


Why Modeling and Why Now?

'I was an actor when I was a young man. My career shifted away from the creative fields but as the last couple of years have changed in my personal life, I’ve needed a creative outlet. My favorite experiences have been meeting with photographers or artists who have a creative vision that I can contribute to. If a real friendship develops from a collaboration, it is a wonderful gift.'

'Modeling gives me a creative outlet that doesn’t revolve around my children (I’m the primary caretaker in my family) and gives me an outlet for myself (my narcissism?), and it is not the intense investment that a play might require with its multi week or longer commitment.'



Factors weighed before taking it all off?

'I’m a father, so I always think about everything through that lens. When I consider taking it all off, I ask myself “what will the kids think if they see this?” And, I also want to teach them that bodies are beautiful and are not objects of shame. My first time was with an artist who’s work I really respected. I was nervous about being naked of course but I also wanted to be a good subject for him — in this case he was a body painter so I was pretty much a human canvas. I want to push myself creatively and I believe that staying within one’s comfort zone of safely, is not an environment where creativity can grow.'


Favorite body parts, and keeping his body fit?

'My butt gets attention in pictures but my face, which is increasingly becoming a Spencer Tracy-esque rough terrain, is my favorite “part." I go to the gym a few times a week and watch what I eat pretty carefully. I’m just having fun, looking for collaborations that I can be a part of and if they want a 23 year old, smooth, 3% body fat, aesthetic model . . . I’m probably not their guy! LOL'


Working With Tom:

'I had been aware of Tom’s work through both Facebook (where we were both members in the same private group) and Instagram. I admired his work and was planning a trip to Dallas for my Mom’s birthday. I think I was the one to reach out to him initially asking if he’d be interested in shooting. He turned out to be a wonderful man, very kind and I hope we get the opportunity to shoot again. I think he’s got a great style and I’m proud of the images he captured when we were together.'



No comments: