Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Wising Up


'Much beauty in the swamp, if you only look...'
Swamp Thing


I think the first time I saw Ray Wise on screen was during the original airing of Twin Peaks. As Leland Palmer, Wise proved himself an accomplished actor nailing just the right creepy notes as Laura's lecherous father. I can't say I initially thought of Wise as a 'hunk', that didn't occur until this past weekend.

On the set of Twin Peaks

I DVR'd the 1982 camp horror flick Swamp Thing when it aired on TCM movies earlier this month and finally watched it over the weekend. I hadn't known Wise was in the cast and was surprised when he appeared as Dr. Eric Holland, Swamp Thing, pre-swamp. 1982's Wise was adorable.

On stage in Sam Shepard's The Tooth of Crime (1983)

The 'good guy' is not a role I am used to seeing Wise in, and Wise still had a bit of a baby face, more youthful than the usual intense characters he has been playing the last decade or two. As far as Swamp Thing goes, I can't really recommend it. I know I love a movie if I think I would like to watch it again in the future. Although I enjoyed it for what it was, a second viewing isn't in cards.

Wise in Dallas (1982)

Robocop (1987)

Swamp Thing (1982)

Dare The Devil (1969)

Despite my research, about the only shirtlessness I could find was from Wise's big screen debut in 1960's Dare The Devil. I don't much about it, but the poster above sort of gives you a good idea of the tone, and what it's all about. Maybe one of these days I hunt for a copy, looks both disturbing, yet oddly interesting for a retro film.


Recent shot with Steve Burton on The Young and the Restless

No comments: