Sunday, August 4, 2019

Nicholas Clay: ACTORS & Skin


My memories of Nicholas Clay in Lady Chatterly's Lover were fuzzy, I think maybe a late night viewing on the movie channel was my introduction, but Clay's outdoor wash off didn't take hold as it did this time around.  Clay's sex appeal in the 1981 film had me looking forward to seeing more, and I wasn't disappointed.


I really enjoyed my recent viewing of Clay in the 1982 film adaptation of Agatha Christie's Evil Under the Sun.  I love all things Diana Rigg related, and had heard, but never seen this film before.  If you google search Clay, images of the scenes with Clay in his tight black, cheek baring bathing suit, frequently pop up.


I think I most enjoyed 1971's, The Night Digger, a moody, very seventies thriller with great performances.  It also includes Clay first nude movie nude scenes, ten years before he took it off again in Lady Chatterley's Lover.

The Last Days of Pompeii (1981)

Clay's film roles slowed down after Lady Chatterley, with his last film appearance in 1987 alongside Eric Stotz in Lionheart. Clay continued to work steadily, but on television in many series, mini-series and TV movies. Clay died in London in 2000 at just 54 years old. I'm grateful for the FH reader who flagged me check out Clay's films, and draw attention to short, but memorable career.


Evil Under the Sun (1982)

Although there wasn't any nudity in 1982's Evil Under The Sun, Clay did get a little cheeky in his black speedo as Patrick Redfern.   I loved watching this flick, not only is Clay in his black speedo for much of the film, we also get to see Olenna Tyrell and the Dowager Countess (co-stars Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith) throwing barbs at each other, 1980's style.


No comments: