Saturday, September 21, 2019

I Gotta Get Out, Get Me Some of those Ra-a-ays


'Hey, mom always said don't play ball in the house.'
Peter Brady


It always seemed Greg got all the attention, but my Brady Bunch crush was definitely Peter!  Although Christopher Knight is quite a bit older than I am, and I wasn't born when the show first aired, it was Peter I identified with.


When I used to watch re-runs after supper as a kid, I was about the same age as Peter was during the shows run.  Bobby was still just a kid, and Greg reminded me too much of one of my own older brothers, one I didn't get a along with at the time.  I had poofy hair, just like Peter when I was in Jr High, and was wearing wide legged cords, long after they had gone out of style.


I DVR'd the HGTV Brady Bunch renovation, and watched the first hour last night.  Although I remember liking the sit-com when I was watching those repeats as a kid, it wasn't really a huge part of my childhood.  I was surprised at how drawn I was to the renovation, partly due to nostalgia, but also in part due to the scale of the renovation.


I especially love watching the cast and renovators hunting down old props and furniture pieces from the time of the show.  I was born in 70's, and remember the fake wood paneling and colorful wallpapered walls from our family home well.  By the time the eighties came around, both were painted over, but no amount of paint can remove how vivid they remain in my memory.

No comments: