Saturday, September 28, 2019

Stranded

Christopher Atkins in The Blue Lagoon (1980)

'Come back here and put your clothes on!'
Paddy Button


FH readers know that the original Blue Lagoon had quite an impact on me when I was a kid. I think like many young guys in the 80's, Christopher Atkins confirmed beyond a doubt, my sexual preference. I was a bit young to see the movie when it first came out, but I remember seeing images of Atkins in magazines and longed to see the film, and to see the nude scenes that I'd read about. Eventually I got to see the movie on VHS and the pause button on the remote never had such a work out.


This post isn't really about Atkins though, I featured the blonde heartthrob many times over the years. (HERE:) It's also not about actor Brenton Thwaites, the Australian actor who played Dean in the 2012 TV remake film Blue Lagoon: The Awakening.

This post is more about Richard, (or Dean or Michael) and the 4 actors, some who wore the loincloth, in the four incarnations of the film. The original castaway was played by Donald Houston who co-stared alongside Jean Simmons in the original Blue Lagoon in 1949.

Brenton Thwaites in The Blue Lagoon: A New Awakening 2012

I was triggered by an article on actor Brian Krause who played Richard in the 1991 sequel, Return to the Blue Lagoon. I have yet to see Return to the Blue Lagoon, partly, because I'm not really that familiar with Krause's work. I certainly was aware of him, mainly due to his role on Charmed, but I never watched that show. Truth be told, I was also aware that except for a few breast flashes from Milla Jovovich, there wasn't any male nudity in the film.

Donald Houston & Jean Simmons in The Blue Lagoon (1949)

When I first saw the 1980 version, in addition to Atkins, I also enjoyed the island scenery and the blues and greens of the ocean. As beautiful as the location was, with repeat viewings, it was all about capturing a new angle or view of Aktins body during all those underwater swimming scenes... Krause is incredibly adorable in the promotional shots for the sequel, so I did get my hands on a digital copy that I plan on watching when time allows.

Brian Krause in Return to the Blue Lagoon (1991)

I thought it might be fun to compare and contrast the four 'Richards' and see which one had the best beach body from all of that fish, not to mention the coconuts and berries (except the poison ones...) they were forced to eat on the island. 


Although Christopher Atkins was the only 'Richard' to have nude scenes in his dip in the Lagoon, all except actor Donald Houston, did have nude scenes in other projects.  Check them out and see which of Richard's rears was your favorite on PAGE 2 HERE: & HERE:

No comments: