Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Horror Hunks: Jimmy McNichol in Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker


'She was lonely. He was all she had. No-one would take him from her - and live...'


Seventeen year old high school senior Billy Lynch was raised by his maternal aunt, Cheryl, with who he has lived since the age of three, when his parents died in a tragic accident. As never married Aunt Cheryl has not dated over that time, it has been only her and Billy in the big, old house next to the woods.


It's not so surprising that Aunt Cheryl develops a bit of an obsession over her 17 year old nephew.  Billy is hot, and Aunt Cheryl loves waking up the shirtless hottie each morning.  Although he plays 17, teen idol Jimmy  McNichol was 20 when the movie was filmed.  Susan Tyrell, known for her quirky roles is brilliantly creepy as Aunt Cheryl who goes to great lengths to keep Billy all for herself.



Up until seeing this film earlier this year on TCM, I hadn't actually seen Jimmy McNicol in any film or television show.  My knowledge of McNichol came from the net, and seeing old shirtless magazine pin-ups from the 70's.  I instantly was in lust, McNichol has an incredible body and an intense sex appeal that come through in his images.  I had heard of his turn in this film, but only last year managed to finally see it.


Although there is a gay subplot that has attracted some critical reactions, I can overlook given it was made in 1981, and is not a huge part of the main story.  The movie was actually much better than I expected, and McNichol's tight butt gets a decent amount of screen time when his aunt interprets his shower.  There was also a surprise (to me anyway) nude scene with actress Julia Duffy's (Newhart) breasts.


In addition to Duffy, Bill Paxton (below) also makes a brief appearance in one of his early films.  I was surprised to see the film was airing on TCM, but then read it got some decent reviews when it was released and won a Saturn award for best horror film in 1982 from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films. 


I'm glad I caught and DVR'd it from TCM's Friday night cult classic themes.  I've caught some great classic horror films from the 70' and 80's, many I'd never heard of, and most, I likely never would have seen if not for the network.  So many of my favorite Halloween flicks, and so many of my favorite Horror Hunks have come from watching and recording TCM.


McNichol with Julia Duffy

There's an aunt in the shower!


No comments: