Saturday, June 20, 2020

The Eyes of a Father: Antoine by Lights On Studio


'Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice.'
Charles F. Kettering


One of the most significant things parents do, whether they try to or not, is implanting their voice in their children's minds.   Even if we don't realize it, even into adult hood, the messages our parents sent us, are whirling around our brains.  Some children unfortunately, receive negative messages, words and looks that are able to bring forth insecurity and uncertainly decades into adulthood.


If we're lucky, those voices we here are reassuring and comforting, and most of all, support resilience and self-confidence. These voices are not always heard, they're just as often felt, through watching our mothers and fathers deal with their own demons and struggles.  More than anything a parent can say, their body language, their way of being, and especially their eyes, have the power to empower their children.


When I was thinking about who to feature this father's day, I of course thought of my own father.  I am blessed to have been raised by a gentle, kind man.  My mother was the head of our family, my father was quiet, not withdrawn, just quiet.  He dislikes confrontation, yet will fiercely defend and speak up when someone's being mistreated.  My father never really talked to me about being kind, he simply was, always.  I don't think I ever heard him be cruel, or wish harm or misfortune on anyone.


When I thought of a model or shoot to convey these attributes, I kept coming back to Antoine.  I first featured the model back in 2016 in a Christmas themed shoot (HERE:) with Tom Nakielski from Lights On Studio. Antoine was memorable to me for many reasons.  I loved Tom's shots and the joy Antoine seemed to having in front of the lens.  It was clear in both his smile, and in his eyes.  I also remembered his story, and thought he'd be a perfect model to revisit on this day.


Antoine has lived and loved for the entirety of his fifty plus years.  Antoine's worked in many places, from factories, motor company's, through working as a hairstylist in a salon along side his wife for almost 30 years.  In addition to doing a little modeling for fun, Antoine loves to sing and dance, and he loves being a father.


In addition to his own set of twins, Antoine has also been a role model and father figure to many others, including the many foster children he and his wife have cared for over the years.   Throughout his life, and the many struggles he's faced, including battling cancer, Antoine has always tried to remain positive, not only for his spirit and soul, but for the spirit and souls of the many children closely watching.



No comments: