Saturday, July 4, 2020

Blast from the Past: Ralph Waite in Cool Hand Luke


This post was originally going to be for Father's Day. I ended up running out of space, but still wanted to include it.  When Father's Day was approaching, I began thinking about Hollywood 'Father Figures' and was trying to find the right actor to feature.  I then remembered the piece I did about Paul Newman's only nude scene  (HERE:) in the 1967's Cool Hand Luke.


I remember that as surprised as I was to find out Newman actually had a nude scene, the film also included the brief butt baring of Pa Walton, actor Ralph Waite. In the film, Waite plays Alibi, and he sadly  has to suffer being locked up in the shack the same way Luke was.  The ritual required the inmate to strip down before being locked up.


Newman's nude scene took place at night and was dark, Waite's on the other hand has a lot more light.  I'm sure I've seen repeats of The Waltons, but wasn't born when it first came on the air.  I do remember my mother watching repeats, but mostly remember Waite from television guest appearances, including seeing him not to long before his death in 2014, as a minister on Days of our Lives.



No comments: