Sunday, May 23, 2021

To Explore Strange New Worlds


'Galloping around the cosmos is a game for the young.'
Captain Kirk

DeForest Kelley
I'm not really a Star Trek fan.  I like the new movies, and have seen a few of the older ones, but the series, in any of it's incarnations, never really appealed to me.  I do have sort of an emotional tie to the original series, only because my dad used to like watching the repeats when they aired.  I remember several Saturday and Sunday mornings, bugging him to let me turn the channel as he watched Kirk, Spock, Bones and company on the bridge. 


This past Mother's day however, I had an entirely different experience with William Shatner.  For me, Shatner is the annoying guy from the TV commercials, and the actor who played Denny Crane on Boston Legal.  I was looking for a movie 'mama' to feature on Mother's Day and at one point was thinking about using Angie Dickinson.  I remembered her scene with actor John David Carson from Pretty Maids All In A Row, (HERE:) and wondered if Dickinson had any other scenes with her naked male co-stars. 


This led me to Dickinson's turn as Wilma in 1974's Big Bad Mama in which she shared love scenes with both William Shatner and actor Tom Skerritt.  Shatner doesn't really show much, just a bit of side skin, but the movie was entertaining enough. Angie Dickinson's beautiful breast do make the foreground.  During my search, I also came upon a Youtube video chronicling all of Kirk's shirtless scenes from the original Star Trek series.  Given the show's short run, there were actually quite a lot of them.


This scene, from season 2's Patterns of Force, featured both a shirtless Shatner and a shirtless Leonard Nimoy.  I didn't remember Spock being so hot from those Saturday morning repeats that my dad used to watch.  Further research was required....

There was very little to find skin wise of Bones, (DeForest Kelley) but in addition to Shatner's turn in Big Bad Mama, Nimoy also had a brief nude scene from a 70's film.  In the 1971 Western Catlaw, Nimoy gets interrupted while enjoying a relaxing bath.  A nude fight with actor Yul Brynner follows and even the hint of a darkened frontal.  Check out clips from my trek into seventies skin below. 

William Shatner

Shatner in Big Bad Mama (1974)

Mama and daughters get forced by circumstances into bootlegging and bank robbing, and travel across the country trailed by the law.

Leonard Nimoy

Nimoy in Catlow (1971)

An outlaw tries to avoid interference as he journeys to Mexico to pull off a $2,000,000 gold robbery.

No comments: