Thursday, June 23, 2022

Sex-Positive and Positively Sexy


Nancy Stokes, a 55-year-old widow, is yearning for some adventure, human connection, and some sex--some good sex.


I love actress Emma Thompson.  I love her films, her choice of roles, her personality when I catch her on a talk show.  Thompson elevates every film she's in.  Thompson should have won the Oscar for her role in Love Actually.  In a relatively light holiday film, Thompson's scene in the bedroom, when discovering her husband was having an affair, was incredible.  Without words, Thompson, with an assist from Joni Mitchell, expressed a relatable pain in stunning scene that for me, is one of her best performances. 


Most of you have heard the buzz about Emma's role in the new Hulu film Good Luck to You, Leo Grande.  In addition to exploring Nancy's sexual awakening, it also portrays a rare positive spotlight on sex workers.   As Leo Grande, actor Daryl McCormack portrays a compassion for Nancy, something I know is often at the heart for many in the sex worker industry.


'All of my preconceived ideas of what intimacy looks like kind of shattered.'


Usually, I get annoyed when 'nude scenes' get all the buzz and attention, but for this film, I think it it was both beautiful, and needed.  The film could not have been as powerful, as raw and as honest, if Nancy's journey was simply presented through dialogue,  or filtered sexy scenes.  Watch for the nudity, it doesn't really matter, the performances will be what are most remembered. 


No comments: