Sunday, July 10, 2022

John Turturro in Severance


'Everything We Do Here Is Important.'
Irving

Do the Right Thing (1989)

I just finished Apple TV's Severance last week and it left me with a few questions.  Not the questions posed by the cliffhanger, those will be answered in season 2.  I was left wondering how many TV shows is Adam Scott on? Who is that cutie Zach Cherry and that hottie Tramell Tillman? And I was asking myself once again, is Patricia Arquette a great actress, or a really bad one?  Whenever I see Arquette on screen that question always seems to run through my mind.

Danny and the Deep Blue Sea (1984)

I was also left surprised how much I was crushing after actor John Turturro. I've seen Turturro on screen for as long as I remember, but don't really recall him having the same impact on me before.  If you watch movies at all, you know the talented New York born actors work.  His resume is long, including many successful and award winning films including; Raging Bull, The Flamingo Kid, Desperately Seeking Susan, The Color of Money, Do the Right Thing, Summer of Sam, Rounders, Barton Fink, Quiz Show, Transformers and more recently in The Batman.

Severance

Some of Turturro's television credits include appearances on; Saturday Night Live, Miami Vice, Monk, Difficult People.  On stage, he's appeared on and off Broadway in productions of Waiting for Godot, The Cherry Orchard, Life x 3 and Death of A Salesman/

I think what impacted me most was how beautifully Turturro played Irving, and his relationship with Burt played by Christopher Walken.  Having directed Walken in Illuminata (1998) and Romance & Cigarettes, (2005) it was Turturro who suggested Walken for the role.


' Irving, You Know, The Lumon Manual Doesn't Say Anything About Lip-To-Lip Contact.'
Burt


Like all the 'innie' relationships in Severance, Irving and Burt face a shit load of obstacles, the least of which are the rules of the Lumon corporation. Despite this, Turturro and Walken create a sweet couple with just a few short scenes.  It's rare to see a gay relationship on television with men both over 60, but this is one I really look forward to seeing more of.


After finishing Severance, I of course had to check whether Turturro had any nude scenes.  I found several, the most interesting being Turturro's turns in Box of Midnight and The Jesus Rolls.  Turturro has a frontal flash in Box of Midnight, but both films also include interesting nudity from Turturro's male scene partners.  Check out the caps and clips on the NEXT PAGE HERE:

Rounders (1998)

No comments: