Sunday, November 26, 2023

Current TV Crush: Ren Watabe


'We needed an actor who we really wanted to follow through the series. Someone who was believable in the Japanese world, but also could speak English for the English-speaking world as well. He really came out of nowhere.'
Casting Director, Monarch, Legacy of Monsters


Last week, I binged the first three episodes of  the new Apple TV+ series, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters.  I loved every minute of it.  I love 'monster' movies, and this series makes you feel like you're watching a feature film.  Like most monster movies however, the  monster scenes are hit and miss.  There aren't really that many scenes with Godzilla or the other monsters, which is probably a good thing.  In some scenes, they're incredibly realistic, but in in others, they're incredibly fake.  I always wonder why directors and editors don't edit out those 'fake' looking moments.  


I remember the same thing happened with the dragons in Game of Thrones.  Of course, given there is no such thing as dragon, all the scenes required a suspension of belief, yet for the most part, it was easy to do as the special effects were so well done.  Then bam, there would be one or seconds where the dragons looked so obviously fake, it took you instantly out of the story.


Those few seconds however, didn't detract from my enjoyment of the show.   The characters and story instantly drew me in, and they cast a wonderful group of actors.  It was sort of crazy first seeing Wyatt Russell in the show.  I initially thought it was a younger, digital version of his father Kurt.  Then I realized it was his son, and they were playing the same character, Lt. Lee Shaw, at different times within the story.  Wyatt is a very good actor, and really engaging in the role.  Regardless of his relationship with Kurt, he quickly proves he deserved the role, beyond just the physical resemblance with the other Lt. Lee Shaw. 


One of my favorite characters in the series is Kentaro Randa played by Ren Watabe.  I am enjoying Kentaro's relationship with is new found sibling, and instantly crushed over Ren.   Born in Japan, this is the only the 24 year old's second acting credit, and first professional lead role.  Prior to getting cast as Kentaro, Ren was working as a line cook, doing a bit of modeling on the side.  


Ren was the perfect casting choice as not only is he incredibly hot, he also draws you instantly into his story, and has you wanting to follow him to see where it leads.  Despite being new to acting, he also holds his own in scenes with Kurt Russell and the rest of the cast.  Ren does not really have much of an on-line presence yet, but looking forward to watching more of him in the series and what I'm sure will be many other projects in the future. 

1 comment:

Abbagodz said...

Looking forward to seeing 'Godzilla Minus One' this Friday. Been a life-long Godzilla fan ever since I saw 'Destroy All Monsters' at a drive-in back in 1970 when I was five (I know, I'm old...lol).