
The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last forever.
Charlotte's Web
I know many have had a brutally hot summer, but over the last year or so, at least here in the East, the summer's have been relatively quiet. After a few years with horrible hurricanes, and stormy summers, the summer of 2026 was hot, but not nearly as dry as last year. Last summer, we went into fall worried about the levels of lakes and wells. This year, all the rain has had berry farmers worried, not about getting enough, but of getting too much water.
Where I live, Fall seemed to start a little early this year, As soon as September hit, so did the cool morning and brisk, windy days. I know from friends that it's not like that everywhere, but where I live, sweater weather is upon us. Although I love Autumn, I don't really breath a sigh of relief until hurricane season is over later in the fall. I've been through too many storms coming up the east coast to relax until the end of November.
Given the climate change has already permanently altered our seasons, maybe we'll have a rare old fashioned winter. For me, snowy winter is always welcome. I fear there won't be many more really snowy winters as temperatures rise, so fingers crossed, at least in my house, this year might be one of them.
Of course this year we have to worry about a super, even supersized El Niño. The World Meteorological Organization reports that the current El Niño is firmly established, intensifying rapidly in the tropical Pacific, and could become the strongest event on record. Forecasters note a near 100% certainty that the phenomenon will persist through February 2027, potentially pushing global temperatures and weather patterns into uncharted territory
Before welcoming winter however, and officially welcoming fall, it's time to say good-by to summer. I took more time off this summer than I usually do. A couple of weeks in July, and trip to my brother's over the Labour Day weekend. It's time to get back to the grind though, although I still have one last trip to look forward to. My annual cottage trip with friends, usually in August, is now going to be a long weekend in October. Although the beach is out, they'll be fires, game nights and plenty to drink and eat.











No comments:
Post a Comment