Sunday, September 13, 2026

Fields of Sunshine 🌻

A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns.


If you're regular FH reader, you may remember how much I love sunflowers.  If you search 'sunflower' on the site, (in the top left corner) you'll find dozens of post featuring visuals of the majestic flower🌻with the male form.  I've also previously done sunflower themed days, including a 3 page spotlight on the flower back in 2020. (HERE:)

There are many reasons why they're my favorite flowers, from their beauty and vibrant yellows, to their determination to follow the light, and follow the sun.  I think the main reason however, is because of my mother.  I've told the story before, but those who don't know, I'll share a bit of text from a previous post on the subject. 


My mother didn't like flowers.  I wouldn't go so far as to say she hated them, but she showed little to no interest in having them in the house, or on the property.  For her, an evergreen bush was much more practical for the front lawn. Little work and easy to take care of.  As far as inside, if anyone dared buy her flowers for mother's day or her birthday, she'd usually made a comment about how wasteful it was to spend money on something that in a few days, she'd be throwing in the garbage.


The one exception was the sunflower.  She'd welcome a sunflower bouquet once a year with a smile.  Although she'd preferred the plastic variety, that she could keep on the table for months, she 'allowed' real flowers as long as they were sunflowers.  Thankfully, so many photographers share my love of the glorious golden flower, and I've been fortunate to have featured many original and unique shoots with male models and sunflowers.  Today, that shoot comes from photographer Bob Burkhardt who gives us one more day of sunshine before Autumn officially sets in.

No comments: