Friday, April 20, 2012

Women I Love: Julianne Moore

I LOVE Meryl Streep but if I had to choose, I think the title of today's finest actress equal belongs to Julianne Moore. Watching Game Change the other night, I was more than impressed at her ability as an actress to have me look at Sarah Palin through different eyes. I don't agree with her positions any more than I did before I saw the movie, but Moore's portrayal brought sides to a woman the press had pretty much painted with just one stroke. There was nothing really new in the way of facts unveiled in Game Change, but what was new was perspective. In Moore's talented hands, I found myself having empathy for a woman in way over her head, under a relentless and uncaring microscope that she had no way, and especially time, to prepare for. Of course Palin was not even close to being ready to take on the position, but nor did she seek it. Someone asked her. It is McCain who bears responsibility for bestowing power on someone so not ready to wield it. With only a few missteps (chiefly Hannibal), Moore's choices of roles are generally superb. I think she first came to my attention in Short Cuts and among my favorite performances are Moore's roles The Hours, Far From Heaven and the under appreciated Shipping News. Moore has been fearless in her choices and doesn't shy away from showing skin, and thankfully so have many of the men she has shared the screen with. Below are a few of Moore's most memorable male co-stars. Ryan Gosling & Steve Carell in Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011) With Mark Ruffalo in The Kids Are All Right (2010) Boogie Nights with Mark Wahlberg (1997) Viggo Mortensen in Psycho (1998) Below: Eddie Redmayne & Hugh Dancy in Savage Grace (2007) Below: Colin Firth & Nicholas Hoult in A Single Man (2009) Colin really should have won his Oscar for his role of George in ASM

No comments: