Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Big C



I finally picked up the first season of The Big C. I avoided the show due to the subject matter and the fact that Gabourey Sidibe bugs the shit out of me (anyone else?). I had to give a shot though as Laura Linney is one of my favorite actress's. I think I have loved her in every role she has taken, even in movies that have not always matched her talent.



Of course the magic of The Big C is that it is not really about cancer or dying, the shows focus is Cathy's (Linney) struggle with living. I love when a show is able to create characters we have not met before. The Big C has a few, my favorite being Cathy's brother Sean, played by the great John Benjamin Hickey.



John Benjamin Hickey is an incredible actor who slips easily into difficult roles on television, in movies and on stage. Hickey won the 2011 Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play for his performance as Felix Turner in The Normal Heart, and is known to many for originating the role of Arthur in the play Love! Valour! Compassion!, a role he recreated in the 1997 film version.



Love! Valour! Compassion! (1997)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute....why don't you like Gaby Sidibe? She seems like a sweet girl.

-Chris

Tye said...

Not her talent, more her way of being on talk shows. Seems to have such a disconnect, maybe even a arrogance that bugs me.