Friday, February 2, 2018

Sketchy Saturday by Richard Rothstein

MikeMGTV

'Explore your inner artist. Get Your Pencils, Get Excited, Get Sketchy!'

MikeMGTV & Sean Matthew

Last month, I introduced FH readers to Sketchy Saturday, and featured Richard Rothstein's images of Will and Zachery from the January 6th session. Sketchy Saturday is a popular weekly event at Therapy Lounge in NYC and rotates different models in each week for their patrons to draw or enjoy. Enjoyment is a big part of the event as visitors are encouraged to draw, or simply order a cocktail and lust after the models in the middle of the room.


Richard Rothstein was one again invited to shoot the event last Saturday when Mike and Sean Matthew disrobed to be depicted by the budding artists in attendance. This weeks session seemed a bit more intimate, with more interaction between both the models, as well as those artists requiring a closer look with their creations. I generally hate performances with audience participation, but this is one event in which I could support it!


'I’m fascinated by these shoots at Therapy. I’ve never worked with a stationary model before; they always follow my direction or improvise and explore different emotions and poses for me. Photographing someone not moving forces me to constantly move to find my angles and perspectives; to examine the model much more intensely than I’ve ever done before.'


'The process is surprisingly intimate and erotic, but also there are fascinating walls and distances. And then there is an almost mesmerizing element of voyeurism that I’ve never before indulged in. As an artist I always follow a narrative, even if it’s only obvious to me. When I did the first shoot at Therapy, I was afraid that I wouldn’t find a narrative and that the shoot would quickly turn boring and stagnant. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. And, of course, the dynamic between a room full of artists and the model is a narrative unto itself and helps fuel my work.'


If you find yourself in NYC on a Saturday night, Therapy Lounge welcomes all artists, experienced or drawing virgins, and anyone else who may take an interest in the event, or just the male forms on display. Therapy posts the models posing each Saturday on their Instagram page which you can check out HERE: You can also check or more of Richard's shots from last Saturday on THE OVER-FLOW HERE:




No comments: