Saturday, December 8, 2018

Dano on Demand


As a lover of great film and television, and occasionally some not so great movies and TV shows, I used to think the VCR, and then DVR, were the greatest inventions.  These recording devices however, had their limits.  They could only record for our enjoyment, shows we were aware of.  Like me, I'm sure many of you remember buying the TV guide, (it's much better digest version size) and ticking off or circling the shows and movies to program to record.


Today, some of my favorite shows weren't on my radar to record before they aired, but only came to my attention after they'd already been on.  This is the case with Ben Stiller's Showtime series, Escape at Dannemora. I remember hearing the story on the news a few years ago, but wasn't aware it was made into a television show until seeing a clip of actress Bonnie Hunt on The Talk discussing the project. I first noticed actor Paul Dano after his stand out performance as Dwayne in Little Miss Sunshine.  I thought he was excellent in the role, but honestly,  haven't seen much of his work since. 


Thanks to Bonnie Hunt, and my new favorite media invention, On Demand, I am enjoying Dano's turn as David Sweat.  I am two episodes in and loving it.  Although Hunt's description, and the Golden Globe nominee's had me interested, I was a little hesitant after learning Patricia Arquette was playing the lead.  I have liked Arquette in some roles, but questioned her acting abilities in others.  As Tilly however, Arquette has found a perfect fit. If you haven't yet watched the series, I would recommend checking it out.


No comments: